Spiced Cherry Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianschef

Senior Cook
Spiced Cherry Tomatoes
Makes 1 3/4 pints

Ingredients:

2 pounds red or yellow cherry tomatoes, stalks attached but not necessary
10-12 basil leaves
Sweet rice wine vinegar**

Directions:

1. Lightly prick each tomato in several places with a wooden pick. Arrange in the streilized jar with the basil.

2. Pour in the vinegar, making sure that it covers the tomatoes by at least 1 inch. Poke the tomatoes with a wooden skewer to ensure there are no air pockets.

3. Weight down the tomatoes, then seal. The tomatoes will be ready to eat in 4-6 weeks, but improve with longer keeping.

They have a 1 year shelf life.

**NOTE: I put 2 pints directly into the fridge for eating in 4 weeks(YUMMY). I also mix regular white vinegar with a light simple syrup, to taste and use this in place of the rice wine vinegar, works wonderfully. You can put the same spices and herbs that you do for bread and butter pickles into the jar instead and they are heavenly. Just process the same as for bread and butter pickles. You can also use green cherry tomatoes, as they are also terrific.

I have lots of grape tomatos ripening up in our garden, as well as some wonderful basil and this recipe sounds like a great idea. I'm going to try it out today, as I don't really know what else to do with all the grape tomatos and I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work as well as the cherry type ones. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom