Squash Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
This is one of my favorite pickles! I have never made them by myself but have helped my grandma & my mom make them for several years. They are also good if you replace the squash with cucumbers.

4qt. yellow squash
2 bell peppers (medium sized, any color)
4 onions (medium sized)
1/2C. salt

Slice squash into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick rounds; chop peppers & onions into chunks. Add salt; cover with water & pack in ice for 3 hours.

3C. vinegar (white distilled)
5C. sugar
1 1/2tsp. celery seed
1 1/2tsp. turmeric
2 cloves garlic, hoped fine
1 1/2tsp. mustard seed

Mix & bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Drain squash & other veggies & add to hot liquid, return to a boil & pack in hot sterilized jars.

This sounds delicious. Thank you very much for this recipe. I have every thing but the mustard seeds which I am buying tomorrow. Just in time to send a jar home with a friend who is coming for lunch on Friday. :chef:

I've made bread and butter pickles out of zucchini before, and they are delicious. I'm sure your yellow squash pickles are just as good.

You're right on target....

licia said:
I think it would be good made with green tomatoes also.

At our farm, we make and sell both Pickled Squash and Pickled Green Tomatoes (among the other 20+ canned goods we make)....something that we sold a lot of pickled green tomatoes for was to add to martinis....makes for a great change and a really good taste....or so they tell me - I'm not really a lover of martinis! :LOL:

I made the squash pickles this summer and everyone thought they were really good. They are different and fun to give as gifts. Especially if you've got as much squash as I had.

Actually this is one of the only good uses for that Orange squash that they make Jack-o-lanterns of. They are quite tasty.

squash pickles

For some reason i cant pring this off,,,can you send this to my yahoo email so that i can,,,i would appreciate it so very much,,,thank you for your time and kindness,,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassiegerald:ohmy:

how about you just copy and paste, and then print? asking folks to email you on your 1st post is kinda odd.

For some reason i cant pring this off,,,can you send this to my yahoo email so that i can,,,i would appreciate it so very much,,,thank you for your time and kindness,,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassiegerald:ohmy:

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you want a printable copy, look up at the top of this discussion thread and click on thread tools. You should see an option to display a printable version. Good luck with the pickles :)

Hi,,,i dont know how to paste and copy,,,am i doing wrong by asking someone to email me the recipe,,if it is i am so sorry,,i didnt realize that i was doing wrong,,,take care ,,God bless you and your loved ones,,,i guess i need to get out of this site,,,,

You don't
need to leave, it is just safer not to give out your private e-mail for all to see. Members can privates message you right here,
kadesma

cassie,

If you are still here and if you would like help with printing, please send me a private message and I will walk you through it step by step. To send a private message, click on my name in the thread and select send private message to.

Hey Cassie, hope you come back. I emailed the recipe to you. We can walk you through the rest of the stuff here so you can get more recipes. Welcome to DC!

:rolleyes:Hi Alix,,i got your email for the recipe and thank you hon for replying to my email...i appreciate it so very much,,,thank you for your time and kindness,,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassiegerald:rolleyes:

Cassie, we hope to see you around DC some more. If you ever have any quesions or problems, please feel free to contact any of the moderators.

Sorry, no offense was meant. I was merely trying to help. Asking folks to email you on an internet forum can be dangerous for all parties. The suggestion to copy and paste was just that, a suggestion.
Again, sorry.

Hi Wyogal...that is alright,,,I just took it the wrong way and I got kind of embarrassed at first but I got over it,I understand what you mean now,,,I was raised that you trust everybody and led a sheltered life,,and I just dont think about anyone wanting to harm anyone else,,,but there are dangers out there like you said,,,thank you for your concern and and your comments,,no harm done ...thank you for your time and kindness,,,.take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,

Back
Top Bottom