Squash Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I wanted to make some tomorrow. The grocery store didn't have Ground Turmeric.
Can another spice be substituted for it? The recipe only calls for a 1/2 teaspoon...

Thank you.

Munky.

With just a half tsp, I would suspect it is being used more for color, not flavor. You could probably leave it out, or sub mustard powder, or some form of ginger, to which it's related. Or even curry powder, where it is also an ingredient.

I could give the curry a try.. I've never canned these before. It's only being attempted now as a favor for a friend who has an abundance of squash.

He specifically asked that they be in spears. Large quart jars.
All the Ball recipes say to peel, seed, slice and dice them into 1" cubes. They only yield 4 half pints.

Can the recipe be adjusted safely to accommodate quart jars?
All I'd have to worry about would be the process times?

Thank you
Munky.

You might be able to find other recipes for quarts online, check with your local extension office too. Maybe pints might work. Ball and Kerr are the gold standards for canning, not sure I would mess too much with their jar size recs, though you could contact them directly through their websites, and they would be happy to answer your question.

Others might have better ideas.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. :)
I did see a few other recipes online. The thing about them is I don't know where they got those recipes or even if they are safe. All of my Ball recipes are at least proven to be safe.

My friend just might have to a little sporting on this one..

Munky.

Another thought might be to try a Ball recipe for dill pickle spears, substituting the squash. May not be as crunchy, but your friend would get the spears.

Back
Top Bottom