Storing Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
:ermm: I just bought a large bag of corn meal, what is the best way to store it to make sure it stays good the longest i.e no little beetles and stuff....

Really? I thought maybe the fridge but I wasn't sure about moisture. Do you store yours in the freezer? Do you put it in a bag or tupperware?

Another vote for foodsaver... but if that is not an option, then freezing would be your best bet!!!

I freeze all my flour. Just leave it in the bags. I have never had any problems with it.

I used to have a food saver, but it quit working. I have been researching the new and improved models, just have to make up my mind how much I want to spend and what I want it to do.

A very interesting thought. Where do those little beetle bugs come from? I store all my flours, etc., in airtight jars. But every once in awhile, I'll go to one that I haven't used in awhile and whalah...little bugs.

Do they just appear out of thin air?

I'm getting ready to go and get my jar of semolina flour...rainy day great for making homemade pasta. To bug or not to bug? :ROFLMAO:

I use my Foodsaver but vacume seal in wide mouth jars with the jar sealing accessory. I prefer jars over bags for long term storage. I also read that if you put in a bay leaf with corn meal, pasta or rice that it helps keep any bugs from hatching. Not sure yet if that works, but I gave it a try. I figure what will it hurt to throw in a bay leaf. Small insurance.

If you vacuum seal then a bay leaf is not necessary since bugs can't get in and anything already in is dead. A bay leaf on the shelf may be more appropriate.

Thanks mcnerd I was wondering about that since there is no oxygen in the jar after vacume sealing it. Guess I will save the bay leaf. The shelf is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom