Time to Age for Pickle Spears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
I just made a batch of Pickle Spears as per the directions at McCormak spices.

Pretty straight forward except that they do not say how long after putting them up they have to age on the shelf.

Any of you pickle expers out there have a tip for me?:huh:

You do not say if they are quick dills or sweet. Dills would need at least 2 weeks for flavor to get into the pickle. Sweets which are heated would not need aging.

Hopz said:
I just made a batch of Pickle Spears as per the directions at McCormak spices.

Pretty straight forward except that they do not say how long after putting them up they have to age on the shelf.

Any of you pickle expers out there have a tip for me?:huh:

On principle, I like to age any pickles for at least two weeks. Gives the things a chance to soak up all the goodies in the jar!

I assume you are talking about the Dill Pickle Spears on the McCormick Pickle It page?

If that is the case ... I can see where you might be confused ... not only are the instructions incomplete - they state that they are "refriderator" pickles in one place and then, in the processing, make it sound like you are "canning" them. But never say how long to "cure" them!

But, regardless .... as Chef_Jen said - 2 weeks MINIMUM ... 6 weeks is more ideal ... 2-3 months would be even better.

Michael- yes, that's the one... I used the recipe, but instead of McCormick I used Penzy's... that will teach 'em.

Back
Top Bottom