Tip freezing shredded cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I like to shred my own blocks of different cheese and before I freeze them, I put a tiny amount of cornstarch on the cheese , shake the bag and zip it to keep the cheese from sticking together.

thanks for the tip. Do you taste the cornstarch if the cheese is used right out of the freezer and not cooked)

Marge - I would assume that this cheese is for cooking purposes only i.e., cheese sauce, fondue, even just melted on top of a casserole - but definitely not for eating alone once thawed. It's purely a guess though!

thanks for the tip. Do you taste the cornstarch if the cheese is used right out of the freezer and not cooked)

it is for cooking, hence the shredded cheese. :) It is lightly dusted, just enough to keep the cheese separated from each other.

For raw eating, like topping tacos and the like, if you put the cheese in the freezer for a bit, work fast and grate it really cold, then right back to the freezer until service, it holds up fine.

Cornstarch is just what all the manufacturers use for there crumbles and shredded goods as well.

Mfrs add cornstarch to shredded cheese because it sticks.

When i freeze cheese I don't add cornstarch because frozen cheese is not sticky plus I don't know what I'll be using it for and I don't want cornstarch in most things I'll eventually use it for.

Back
Top Bottom