Tomato/ketchup sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's how I feel about ketchup too. But, once upon a time I had a husband who used a lot of ketchup. I had gotten a whole lot of tomatoes cheap and had canned a bunch for using in sauces. I had made some tomato preserves and still had a lot left. So, I figured I would give tomato ketchup a try. I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. OMG, that stuff was so good that I was putting it on everything, including my eggs at breakfast. It was what the store bought stuff wishes it could be. I think I made 40 pints. Whatever, I was sad when it ran out.

Oh, ketchup on eggs is so wrong on so many levels. :glare:

CD

I had to laugh when I read all this about ketchup and kecap manis. I have no ketchup in the house, but I do keep a bottle of kecap manis in the fridge, for all that Malaysian and Indonesian foods I make. I usually keep some ketchup, for those recipes calling for a small amount of it, but never use it on anything as a condiment.

I had to laugh when I read all this about ketchup and kecap manis. I have no ketchup in the house, but I do keep a bottle of kecap manis in the fridge, for all that Malaysian and Indonesian foods I make. I usually keep some ketchup, for those recipes calling for a small amount of it, but never use it on anything as a condiment.

You live in South Jersey, but your cooking and eating habits are not native to South Jersey species of humans.

Here is a test.

A tasty sliced meat that is good on a bun with a fried egg and a slice of American cheese is...

A) Pork Roll

B) Taylor Ham

C) Trick question, since Taylor Ham does not exist

CD

You live in South Jersey, but your cooking and eating habits are not native to South Jersey species of humans.

Here is a test.

A tasty sliced meat that is good on a bun with a fried egg and a slice of American cheese is...

A) Pork Roll

B) Taylor Ham

C) Trick question, since Taylor Ham does not exist

CD
Taylor is a brand of pork roll that is made in Jersey. Is it still, or is it another thing made in China now? Shows you I'm not a pork roll guy - I just remember this from somewhere way back, and haven't really looked for it in stores.

Something that used to be the signature of south Jersey was good tomatoes, and I love tomatoes! Unfortunately, global warming has made it harder to grow them here (some commercial producers have packed up, and moved to NY), but I still grow over 30 plants a year, just for me! Can't find too many others growing this many around here, unless they are selling them.

You're right, though, CD - I'm not from around here. Dad was in the Navy, and I was born in San Diego, which must be the reason for my love of Mexican food. Travelled all over, and I would try almost anything, just to gross out my sister, which is probably why I will still try just about anything once.

Taylor is a brand of pork roll that is made in Jersey. Is it still, or is it another thing made in China now? Shows you I'm not a pork roll guy - I just remember this from somewhere way back, and haven't really looked for it in stores.

Something that used to be the signature of south Jersey was good tomatoes, and I love tomatoes! Unfortunately, global warming has made it harder to grow them here (some commercial producers have packed up, and moved to NY), but I still grow over 30 plants a year, just for me! Can't find too many others growing this many around here, unless they are selling them.

You're right, though, CD - I'm not from around here. Dad was in the Navy, and I was born in San Diego, which must be the reason for my love of Mexican food. Travelled all over, and I would try almost anything, just to gross out my sister, which is probably why I will still try just about anything once.

The Pork Roll thing is a running joke on DC. Well, for two people on DC. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is still made in NJ. I can actually buy it here in Dallas. Boar's Head distributes it.

When I was a kid in Glassboro, my dad, who has a brown thumb, actually grew some amazing tomatoes in the back yard. My mom, who was a terrible cook, used to make a pretty good sauce and store it in Mason jars. She didn't really need to do anything but not mess it up -- the tomatoes were so good.

My sister has a good tomato garden in Houston. It is a raised garden that I built for her. I live 250 miles away, so I don't get to harvest anything from the garden I built. :( But, I get to eat fresh tomatoes when I visit for Mother's Day. Yes, she starts planting in about three weeks from now down in Houston. Cant do that in NJ. Can't do it in Dallas, either. I'll start planting just after mid-March.

CD

April 1st is my tomato seed starting day, except a few I start earlier, and plant them under wall-o-waters, just to get a few earlies.

I used to hang out in a pub in the city where pilots would frequent on their nights off between flights. I became friendly with one pilot from Alaska who used to trade me Copper River salmon that he caught a day or two before for the Jersey tomatoes (Big Boys, Beefsteaks, and the like) that I grew.

It was like a drug deal, lol. We'd arrange to meet up in the pub, him carrying a small styrofoam cooler, and me with my brown paper bags of tomatoes.

We both walked away thing we got a great deal.

I used to hang out in a pub in the city where pilots would frequent on their nights off between flights. I became friendly with one pilot from Alaska who used to trade me Copper River salmon that he caught a day or two before for the Jersey tomatoes (Big Boys, Beefsteaks, and the like) that I grew.

It was like a drug deal, lol. We'd arrange to meet up in the pub, him carrying a small styrofoam cooler, and me with my brown paper bags of tomatoes.

Ah, Bergen County, well known for its illicit fish for produce trade. Seems you were well connected in the "tomato mafia."

CD ;)

No hurry, TL. If you think of it. If it can’t happen, that’s ok too ;) In the meantime, I’ll see if I can’t my copy of The Joy of Cooking. I know it’s around somewhere, although I can’t vouch for which edition it is.

I don’t mind the occasional recipe that takes a lot of tending!
It was the edition that came out in the 1970s. I had a look at my log. It says I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. :LOL:

I do have notes from when I made it a second time. I had a canning party. Got several friends together and we bought canning jars and produce at Jean Talon Market, the big farmer's market in Montreal. I tried taking pix with my camera, but they weren't turning out legible. I'll try again or maybe use the scanner. Got recuperate some spoons first.

About 20 years ago I was in Brisbane with a mate, we had been out and in an area I wasn't familiar with. My mate says here's a pub, let's go have a drink. We went in and never thought anything about the bar until I went to the toilet, it was mixed gender and a manly woman was doing her makeup. I went back to the bar and told my friend, we had walked into a gay bar and never realised. We got talking to a pilot and a few cabin crew guys. 20 years ago this place way ahead of its time. We had s ball and went home after our drinking session.

The girls teased us a bit,lol. :cool:

Russ

There are so many recipes for ketchup on line. From preparation of five minutes to several hours of low slow cooking. A lot of them five stars.

Back
Top Bottom