"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
First, however, I would recommend researching everything that exists at the National Center for Home Food Preservation and reach the point where you can take the course to become a Master Canner and Master Food Preserver.
I will gladly do this. I definitely don't want to hurt my family - and this (above) is actually what I was looking for. I was already poking through that site from the suggestion of someone else earlier in this post. I am the kind of person who needs to know EVERYTHING about anything that I am doing, even if I'm never gonna utilize all of the info. It's kinda why I like Alton Brown, you know? He doesn't tell you to salt the steak and fire it up, he tells you what the salt does to the meat and why it's important.

I will never take shortcuts - I don't do it for anything in life, but this is too serious to play with. My grandma always told me, "work smart, not hard - if you do it right the first time, you don't waste time doing it again" It translates here too - wasting food/risking health etc.

That you for the information, really - it's just what I was looking for!

cowfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Head Chef
I think the Cornell link is only for New York communities, but you can go to the NCHFP link to find the extension in your state:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | Links Home

Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote