"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Head Chef

Tomato Season

I just got done canning 10 quarts of our home grown tomatoes. I know it's not much but I must say that it is so totally sastifying. I think the best part for me...even beyond the winter eating of the fruit...is hearing that nice little "ping" when the jars seal. Okay, so I'm weird but It does make me feel good.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Everymom

Thats not weird, thats NORMAL; especially on a cooking board.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Hey Joe, if you're weird enough to can 10 quarts of tomatoes, being pleased by the ping would be normal. It means you're done with the canning process!

Now you have months of great tasting tomatoes to cook with. Then you can get excited about how great your dishes come out!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Head Chef

Months!!! I wish. Ten quarts won't go far in our house but they will be good while they last.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Months!!! I wish. Ten quarts won't go far in our house but they will be good while they last.
I wish I had the space for canning...and a garden. Good Job!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I wish I had the space for canning...and a garden. Good Job!

My kitchen is about 6 by 10 and our gardens are tiny raised beds. I end up hiding canned goods under the beds. You do what you have to.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
My kitchen is about 6 by 10 and our gardens are tiny raised beds. I end up hiding canned goods under the beds. You do what you have to.
I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.
I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.
I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.

Oh No! Well may this time between now and spring pass quickly.

What you say is true but I will admit that I look forward to being more spoiled. My dream kitchen would have the stove in the middle or plenty of space so that I can FIRE UP!

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote