"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Tomato Season

I just got done canning 10 quarts of our home grown tomatoes. I know it's not much but I must say that it is so totally sastifying. I think the best part for me...even beyond the winter eating of the fruit...is hearing that nice little "ping" when the jars seal. Okay, so I'm weird but It does make me feel good.

__________________

__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Thats not weird, thats NORMAL; especially on a cooking board.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Hey Joe, if you're weird enough to can 10 quarts of tomatoes, being pleased by the ping would be normal. It means you're done with the canning process!

Now you have months of great tasting tomatoes to cook with. Then you can get excited about how great your dishes come out!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Months!!! I wish. Ten quarts won't go far in our house but they will be good while they last.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Months!!! I wish. Ten quarts won't go far in our house but they will be good while they last.
I wish I had the space for canning...and a garden. Good Job!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I wish I had the space for canning...and a garden. Good Job!

My kitchen is about 6 by 10 and our gardens are tiny raised beds. I end up hiding canned goods under the beds. You do what you have to.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
My kitchen is about 6 by 10 and our gardens are tiny raised beds. I end up hiding canned goods under the beds. You do what you have to.
I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I only have 4 foot of counterspace...12" on each side of the sink and 12" on each side of the stove. Live in a daylight basement apartment with a set of steps for my outside space. Baking bread is a chore, but I do get it done. Canning OTOH needs a bit more space! And a garden is out of the question.
I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.
__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I used to live in a small aprtment where my kitchen was in my hallway. I had two small counters about a foot a piece, a small fridge and stove/oven - no microwave or any thing else. I had no room for blenders or rice cookers or crock pots.

Now when I think back on my small apartment and how much I produced out of that kitchen with a butter knife as my slicing tool it is calming. Somehow when I had to live on a penny I expierienced more of a sense of accomplishment. Remembering that makes me feel like I live a life of kings now! At least I have proper knives to cut with! It's fun to remember those times.
I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I do produce alot out of this tiny kitchen and plans are in the works for a move to a rented house with a yard and a KITCHEN! But, it got left to late this year, will have to wait until the students go home in the spring

But, yeah...our first kitchen was a sink and a stove, no counter and I managed Shrimp Scampi with fresh noodles in that one. Funny how spoiled we get with the more we have.

Oh No! Well may this time between now and spring pass quickly.

What you say is true but I will admit that I look forward to being more spoiled. My dream kitchen would have the stove in the middle or plenty of space so that I can FIRE UP!

__________________

__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.