Tomatoes Galore!! Help me can!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtnlover14

Assistant Cook
Hey all!

This is my first year on my own and I started a small, but SUPER productive garden. This is also my first year canning. I have done pickles and dilly beans (which hopefully turned out AWESOME!). Now, comes the tomatoes. I am loaded with big boys, cherries, yellow pears, and an unknown type from a plant my brother gave me.. smaller than a big boy, bigger than a cherry, and delish! I would like to can as much as possible (without a pressure canner). Anyone have any good recipes/suggestions for tomato sauces, crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes?? I've got a ton of fresh herbs too, esp basil that I would love to throw in. Any way to can the little guys too?

Thanks a bunnnchhh! :rolleyes:

I have tomatoes as well. I don't can but I adore red meat sauce. I take tomatoes cut the big ones in halves of 4's then put n a baking sheet, salt and pepper and olive oil drizzled over add a little chopped garli and roast til the wilt and give off juice. Put through a food mill if you dont want the skin or seeds ,freeze. the next tim you nnd tomatoes for pasta sauce your set.
kadesma

Kadesma-

That sounds sooo good!! I think with the little guys, I may slow roast and freeze.. toss in salads and pasta. Hmm. Good thing it will feel like fall this weekend! Perfect to open all the windows and spend a day in the kitchen!

Kadesma-

That sounds sooo good!! I think with the little guys, I may slow roast and freeze.. toss in salads and pasta. Hmm. Good thing it will feel like fall this weekend! Perfect to open all the windows and spend a day in the kitchen!
I use my grape tomatoes to roast they are wonderful and make a great pasta sauce so sweet and good
kadesma:)

I have tomatoes as well. I don't can but I adore red meat sauce. I take tomatoes cut the big ones in halves of 4's then put n a baking sheet, salt and pepper and olive oil drizzled over add a little chopped garli and roast til the wilt and give off juice. Put through a food mill if you dont want the skin or seeds ,freeze. the next tim you nnd tomatoes for pasta sauce your set.
kadesma

This is my suggestion, too...Kades and I do it the same way. Keep the oven temp at about 250, maybe 300, and add chopped onions too, if you like. I also sprinkle on some dried oregano. You could use a generous amount of your fresh basil instead.

Your house will smell so good! Too bad they don't make a scented candle for the kitchen that smells like that.

For home use when I make passata from a glut of tomatoes, sometimes I freeze it down into ice cube-sized pieces. These pop out of the tray when needed, and all I do plop one in to add a bit of flavour to a meat gravy, for example.

Alternatively, why not oven dry tomato halves, or slices using a borrowed dehydrator, like an Excalibur?

Somewhere I posted a stonkin' good sweet chilli jam recipe using 1kg/2.2 lbs tomatoes with 6-10 chillies. It was one of the best I ever made.

Lots of onions and garlic... that's the way I do mine. I use a tomato press to get everything to an even consistancy. Happy canning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding lots of onions and garlic to tomatoes and canning in a Water Bath is a good way to expose oneself to botulism. Way too much low acid ingredients.

I don't know what kind of tomatoes you grew but if you have paste tomatoes you could also try drying them. I had dried a bunch one year and they were so awesome put into pasta sauces, etc. Really easy too, I just cut them in half and squeezed out the gel and seeds... which was good because then I had lots of seeds to ferment and save. Then stick 'em on the dehydrator until dry but still a little flexible. I stored mine in a vacuum sealed mason jar.

Back
Top Bottom