Turkey Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lk1932

Assistant Cook
Could I go to the super market and buy some ground turkey, add spices or marinade and place in a dehydrator at 140 to 150 Degrees and make jerky or am I asking for trouble??

lk1932 said:
Could I go to the super market and buy some ground turkey, add spices or marinade and place in a dehydrator at 140 to 150 Degrees and make jerky or am I asking for trouble??
with ground turkey yes
buy a whole piece of turkey and slice it thin
marinate in soy, ginger, brown sugar, chili flakes and any other spices you like
i like alittle pineapple juice, star anise and pink peppercorn

marinate 30 minutes
then dry with dehydrator or low oven for at least 8 hours

I use a kit I got at the local grocery store. It includes a "Cure" which I think is a Sodium Nitrate. That just does an extra good job of killing any nasty things.

We make Turkey Jerky like this all of the time. It's fantastic!

-Brad

Hmmm, uncooked, dried turkey?!?!

We are cautioned constantly that poultry has to be cooked to a minimum temperature of 161 F to be safe.

A dehydrator does not reach that temperature. I believe it maxs out at around 130 F. I recommend checking into the safety factors before proceeding.

preserving by drying is not really a danger
as long as you use enough sugar and salt to dessicate the protien....ie draw all the moisture out
that along with the drying process, it's all chemistry

granted if you dry it for a few days, and end up with a moldy product you have issues and it should be tossed

a brine generally need not contain nitrites/nitrates
as long as the brine itself is a saturation brine meaning it will no longer absorb any more salt or sugar no matter how much you try to combine it

Humans have been drying meats to preserve them for millennia. However, my thought is, if a poultry product is contaminated with salmonella, what effect does the process have on it?

That's why my butcher recommends the Sodium Nitrates. You bring up a very good point. People must always be careful with poultry..

-Brad

granted there is that but salmonella is not prevalent in all poutry
duck has not that issue
it is how the item is processed at the plant
waterblanching to remove the feathers is a huge culprit
while i have never made turkey jerky, i have made duck jerky for years with not incident

in my years of cooking i have yet to find any evidence nitrates inhibit the growth of bacteria

here is a link to a recent study:

Growth of Staphylococcus and Salmonella on Frankfurters With and Without Sodium Nitrite

obiwan9962 said:
granted there is that but salmonella is not prevalent in all poutry
duck has not that issue...

I agree it's not an issue with duck. We were talking about turkey.

no matter what
we want no one to die or get ill
the suggestion is to get ahold of a local professional to see what he/she does
all else fails find a local food scientist

i am a chef
i know what i've learned over the last 30 years but def not infalliable

I do a lot of jerky, but mostly with beef. For the "Slim Jim" type jerky, I use American Harvester spices which come in a package of seasoning and a package of "cure". You use one pack of each for a pound of meat.
I personally do not like the texture of ground turkey.
With turkey, I buy a turkey breast, freeze it partly and use my meat slicer, cutting the pieces ACROSS the grain, about 1/4 inch thick. Then I marinate the meat overnight in a ziplock type bag with soy sauce, worchestshire (?) sauce and teriyaki. I use the same procedure for beef roasts.
I dry all of them on my American Harvester dehydrator for about 6 hours at the maximum heat. I turn both types at least once during the drying process and blot the grease with paper towels.
On the turkey, I was worried about samonella, so I take the dried slices and put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 500 F for about 10 minutes. This also tends to give the turkey a bit of a smoke flavor which I really like.
You can get the American Harvester at the big box superstore or order from on line.
I make about 8 lbs of jerky every weekend.
Old Camp Cook

Last edited:
AndyM,
I have 3 grandson who would rather eat jerky than candy. I also take jerky and fresh homemade sourdough bread to work every Monday. It resembles feeding time at the zoo about 30 mins after I arrive.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom