"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Using frozen basil in tomato sauce

I harvested a lot of basil yesterday, and was thinking of freezing in oil to save until my tomatoes are ripe and ready to make sauce... Would it be ok (safe) to use the basil in canning? If not, is there a recommended method for freezing the basil until it's time to make sauce? Thanks for helping this newbie!

amynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Head Chef
I wouldn't use it in oil for a canning recipe. You might want to search for the home canning guidelines... they've been posted here many times. Search for a tested canning recipe using your ingredients. I think Mcnerd can help.
Just a guess, but just plain frozen basil maybe? Of course it loses it's texture, but would that matter in this case?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Head Chef
Use caution storing anything in oil since it makes a great botulism factory when at room temperature. I would recommend just putting your basil in a ziplock bag and freezing as is.

You can add it when cooking your sauce for necessary flavoring, but it is generally removed before the sauce is 'canned'. Fresh herbs don't tend to work well at high temperatures. Generally dried herbs are used if it is to stay in the food since it retains it flavor through the canning process better.
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Head Chef
Thanks! I knew you would have a good suggestion!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote