Using honey in jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tootstl

Assistant Cook
I am looking for recipes that use ONLY honey for the sweetener in jams and jellies. I have been converting most of my recipes to honey and have not had much luck finding jam recipes. I also do not want to use pectin or sure-jel. Thanks for the help! Warm regards, Lori

tootsl, how do you make it kind of thick w/o using some sort of pectin? Corn starch? Can't you just add the honey to taste?

Hi Alix,
I am a nutrition adviser and herbalist and I have seen first-hand the effects of consuming "white sugar" on our society. I am not trying to get on a soapbox or anything, but I think that alternatives to the "processed food industry" are the way to go. Since I have converted my family to an organic, whole foods type diet (not totally radical, but not typical American) I have noticed a difference in our health and attitudes! I know that jams and jellies are not "nutritive" foods, but I don't want to totally eliminate foods that can be "put up" for the winter! But, I also don't want to revert back to the "processed" white sugar. I have also been studying the effects of honey on diabetics (whom I have a few clients) and I have found that in LIMITED AMOUNTS, honey can be a safe addition to the diabetic diet (this is not recommended as medical advise, please seek medical advice if you have diabetes!). I have read many old recipes that call for just boiling down the fruit to the jell stage without ANY added sweetener, but I tried that a couple of times and it is a 50/50 deal. If you don't have the right balance of unripe to ripe fruit, then you will not have enough naturally occuring pectin to get a good jell. I would like a tried and true method using honey that will jel without adding chemicals. I am lucky in that I have a source for pure, RAW honey that is only a mile from my house! I absolutely LOVE this honey and have converted many of my recipes to using it. The baked goods are so moist and don't have that "wierd" aftertaste! I think it is because this honey is totally raw, unprocessed and therefore the flavor profile has not been changed by the heat used in typical honey manufacturing. I just can't tell you the difference in our health since we "kicked" the sugar habit! I know I could experiment (like I have with all my other recipes!) but fresh organic fruit is not cheap and I don't want to "waste" any on my experiments! Thanks for your reply! Warm regards, Lori

Hi HTC,
I have made plenty of jams without adding pectins, but it is always a "will it work this time" game. I am trying to stear clear of any additives, especially since we try to eat mostly organic foods. If you add enough "under-ripe" fruit to the batch, then you get a "natural" pectin source; but, the kids like their jam a bit sweeter so I am trying to come up with the right balance of ripe fruit, unripe fruit and honey to get the best flavor profile! Thanks for the reply! Warm regards, Lori

Back
Top Bottom