Want: Recipe for deli pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
I don't know exactly what these things are called, otherwise I'd just search for one myself. They're those (usually really big) pickles you used to find soaking in barrels at butcher shops and delis back when one could still easily find butcher shops and delis. I still occasionally come across a spear/slice of one sided with a Reuben sandwich or something at some restaurants when I'm travellilng. They aren't "hot", they aren't usually particularly crunchy, etc.

Anyhow...I wanna make em. Anyone know what they are formally called or have a recipe for em?

Kosher dills. Or they might be a "half sour". Do you have a good source for the cukes?

Well they wouldn't be kosher dills. I can buy those in a jar--completely different pickle. I might have to look into what a half-sour is though--that might be it.

There was a thread several months ago on "half sours". Perhaps you can do a search and find it.

Ummmm. Just because you can buy them in a jar doesn't mean they aren't a type of Kosher dills. I can buy half sours also, in a jar. And I have made half sours for a good friend.

Any book on preserving would have a recipe. I made them last year. You need a large non reactive container and a lid of some sort to keep the cucumbers under the brine. I dont have the recipe for the brine and directions in front of me, but I can post it tommorrow.

I will add that there are a number of different kinds of "dill" pickles--some not even having "dill". I might hazard a guess that the deli pickles might be "fresh pack" pickles. These are also sold in jars, by the way. Or in the dairy case, as in the case of Clausen's brand.

The pickles I remember came in two major types. Dill (not kosher dill) and sour (not half sour). They would be there either in barrels or in huge glass jars and you bought them one at a time.

Later, delis began serving half sours with your sandwich. They always looked like they needed more pickling to me.

When my daughters were young, their big treat was a dill pickle from the deli. They'd sit for hours sucking the juices out then eat whatever was left.

a Little off topic, but I will post it anyway :angel:

There is a great deli in Vernon CT off of Rt 84 called Reins Deli. They put a dish of half sours on the table as soon as you sit down, but if you ask then they will give you full sours too. They have a couple of bulletin boards as soon as you walk in that is loaded with Polaroid pictures. All the pictures are little kids and babies biting into the pickles, some with priceless sour faces.

We have been going to Reins for many many years anytime we take a trip to NY/NJ area. I couldn't wait to get my kids picture up there and now it finally is.

OK sorry for the hijack. Back to the subject at hand :)

Andy, my dd used to eat the dill pickles at the movies. She would pass up candy and popcorn every time for a huge dill pickle.

oh gosh you just hit my FAVOURITE topic... Dill pickles they dont exist in the UK i mean they try to call them dill pickles but they arent..

Yes in barrels you get Dill Pickles Generally kosher dills :) Claussen are my favourite.. That or strubs..

And a lot of people here know how much i crave them LOL

I try to get people to ship me pickles how sad am I.

Anyway back to the post... Yes Kosher Dills.. are the ones in barrels in Delis. you get them BIG and whole 1/4 speared etc.

very tasty but ive never been able to make them exact. I use a lot of sea salt or kosher salt :)

They aren't kosher dills. I know what those taste like. They aren't dills at all, on that matter. Gonna try to make up some half sours and sours to see which of those, if either, are the type.

......dill pickles are full sours. and any deli ive been to sells dills

Then you have gherkins.. sweet and sour... bread and butter

all pickles take a bit before you can eat them!

Dont know where you are from but try getting some from the grocery store start with strubs and Claussen those are deli pickles see if thats close?

oh andthere are a few types of kosher dills

Chef_Jen said:
......dill pickles are full sours. and any deli ive been to sells dills...

It's been my experience that full sour pickles are different from dills. The deli counter always had two big jars-one for dills and the other for sours. They did not taste the same.

Chef_Jen said:
......dill pickles are full sours. and any deli ive been to sells dills

Then you have gherkins.. sweet and sour... bread and butter

all pickles take a bit before you can eat them!

Dont know where you are from but try getting some from the grocery store start with strubs and Claussen those are deli pickles see if thats close?

oh andthere are a few types of kosher dills

Claussens are the jar pickles I usually buy--Vlasic doesn't make it to the stores out here too often, for some reason. There's not a jar pickle on the market that tastes like the ones I'm talking about.

Heck, if there were...I wouldn't be wanting to make some :P

Back
Top Bottom