Wanted: bread & butter pickle recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
My hubby & his mother love bread & butter pickles! We buy the jars and eat all the pickles, and then keep the juice to pickle hard boiled eggs. I think TJ would put just about anything in that bread & butter thing. They've asked me to find them the recipe, can you help? I'm looking forward to homemade pickles :)

Here are a couple of totally different B&B pickle recipes to get you started.

This one is from the USDA National Center for Home Canning website. The other is from the Ball/Kerr Homecanning website - and is going to be a bit sweeter since it includes brown sugar.

And, there are even more options found from a simple Google search.

Some are processed (canned), some are fermented, and some are refrigerator pickles.

Last edited:
I've found that using google for recipes led to terrible results.

Well, now I don't know what recipe to go with. We don't need to cook for an army, and it will be the kind that you keep in the fridge. Maybe I'll just compile an average...

I was surprised one day I grabbed a jar of them at Dollar General. I'd grown up eating my moms homemade ones and absolutely loved them. Anyway, I was shocked that these tasted almost identical to hers. I frequently buy them by the jar vs. making them due to the cost of making them vs. buying. And since I don't have my deceased mothers recipe this is the closest to hers I'd ever beable to come probably.

Well, of course it's easier to buy them, but I think they want to do this together and make a day of it, you know... family thing :) It's too bad you don't have this recipe!

I've posted this before, but they're so good, they deserve to be seen by newbies!:chef:

Here's my Grandma's recipe, just as she wrote it, so if you have questions, I can't help much, as she always made them, and I never did, and now she is too old to cook anymore. They're so good, I'm thinking I need to carry on her tradition.

Grandma's Pickles

4 quarts sliced cucumbers
6 medium white onions, sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c. coarse salt
5 c. granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp turmeric
1-1/2 tsp celery seed
2 T mustard seed
3 c. apple cider vinegar

Wash & slice cukes, add onions, peppers and whole garlic cloves.
Add salt; cover w/cracked ice ad mix thoroughly.
Let stand 3 hours in refrigerator.
Combine other ingredients. Pour over drained cukes etc, and heat just to boiling.
Seal in hot sterilized jars.

Have you heared of Rick's Picks? Rick is a semi-famed pickler of all things that can be pickled, and he has a lot of fans. I saw him on food network once and somewhere else but I forget where. If you go to his website (http://rickspicksnyc.com/press.html) it says that for his bread and butter chips he uses dried cherries, coconut, and ginger in replace of some of the sugar. I'd do that, but I'd still use the full amount of sugar because it doesn't say how much of the sugar these things replace. That sounds really good.

jkath - I was trying to figure out the main lines in most of the above recipes, and this sounds exactly right, thank you! It looks simple enough. In any case, nothing beats a grandma's recipe :) I think my hubby and his mom will have fun with this. I'll let you know how it turns out!

banana brain - that's a fun idea, but a little complicated to start with. If they want to start making this regularly, I'll give the cherry variation a try :)

Sweet pickles from Dill

I received this recipe from my mother-in-law years ago. You start with quart size jar of store bought dill pickles. I buy when on sale.

1 cup vinegar (I use white vinegar)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 small onion chopped
1 tsp (or more) mixed pickling spice (tied in piece of cloth)
small cinamon stick (optional)

Drain dill pickles and cut into slices right back into pickle jar, with spices and onion. Cook to boiling the vinegar, sugar and water. Pour over pickles and replace lid. Put in refrigerator. Let stand at least a week before eating.

Bread and Butter Pickles

Hello Biev:

this is bigjim, I see yor looking for a good recipe for B/B pickles.this is the
first year that I can some pickles, I made dill and B/B and they came out so
good that I can be proud of both ot them. My older brother and a neiceby marriage just dearly loves them. The recipes I used can be found on website
(www.allabout.com) this website has alot of trainning lessons, you might try
it. I know when the winco store comes out with more pickling cucumbers i
will be making more pickles. I will talk to you later. take care and God Bless..

biev said:
My hubby & his mother love bread & butter pickles! We buy the jars and eat all the pickles, and then keep the juice to pickle hard boiled eggs. I think TJ would put just about anything in that bread & butter thing. They've asked me to find them the recipe, can you help? I'm looking forward to homemade pickles :)

This was posted a while ago, but if you still need a recipe, i have an excellent one.]

jkath said:
I've posted this before, but they're so good, they deserve to be seen by newbies!:chef:

Here's my Grandma's recipe, just as she wrote it, so if you have questions, I can't help much, as she always made them, and I never did, and now she is too old to cook anymore. They're so good, I'm thinking I need to carry on her tradition.

Grandma's Pickles

4 quarts sliced cucumbers
6 medium white onions, sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c. coarse salt
5 c. granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp turmeric
1-1/2 tsp celery seed
2 T mustard seed
3 c. apple cider vinegar

Wash & slice cukes, add onions, peppers and whole garlic cloves.
Add salt; cover w/cracked ice ad mix thoroughly.
Let stand 3 hours in refrigerator.
Combine other ingredients. Pour over drained cukes etc, and heat just to boiling.
Seal in hot sterilized jars.
Sounds very much like my recipe.:chef:

I ran across this 'cheap & dirty' recipe for B&B pickles a couple weeks ago and since my hubby dearly loves these little goodies, I tried them. He is on his second batch already!!! I wish I could remember where I saw this and give proper credit.

Bread and Butter Pickles

2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
1 3/4 pounds Kirby cucumbers -- sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (about 6 cups) or whatever kind you prefer
2 medium yellow onions -- thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves and allspice and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.

Add the cucumbers and onions and simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the cucumbers darken, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS

This recipe is excellent. I made them last year, and plan on having a bumper crop this year.

Bread and Butter Pickles

1 gal. medium cucumber
8 large onion or 3 cup small white onion
2 whole red peppers
5 cup vinegar
5 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons Mustard Seed
1 1/2 teaspoons Celery Seed
1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric
1/2 tsp Ground Clove

Cut the cucumbers and peeled onions into thin slices. Shred or chop the peppers. Place all in a bowl and pour over the 1/2 cup course salt. Refrigerate for three hours and then drain well. Bring the last 6 ingredients to the boiling point. Add the vegetables gradually with very little stirring. Heat the scalding point but do not boil. Turn off the heat and immediately pour into hot sterilized mason jars, seal according to directions for pickle canning.

Thanks guys! I think I will show these to my mother in law and let her choose which one she wants to make : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom