Watermelon rind pickles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jseymour84

Assistant Cook
Good afternoon everyone! Does anyone else make watermelon rind pickles? I made my first batch about two weeks ago but haven't tried them yet to see how they turned out. The recipe I followed called for a lot of sugar and cinnamon, in addition to vinegar and pickling spice. It sounded odd to me, but I was wondering if anyone would share what goes into their watermelon rind pickles.

We made them years ago and used the ingredients you mentioned. We also added whole cloves, allspice, and ground ginger to the pickling syrup.

What a sticky mess we made!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I used to pick up a bottle of these for Thanksgiving and no one seemed to notice a difference from the homemade ones.

k2-_bea1d830-b4fc-4497-8ddd-f6a4fa841eb3.v1.jpg

I'm sure that your pickles will be fine just let them mellow in a cool dark place until Thanksgiving. Pay attention who goes back for seconds and give them a bottle for Christmas!

We made them years ago and used the ingredients you mentioned. We also added whole cloves, allspice, and ground ginger to the pickling syrup.

What a sticky mess we made!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I used to pick up a bottle of these for Thanksgiving and no one seemed to notice a difference from the homemade ones.

k2-_bea1d830-b4fc-4497-8ddd-f6a4fa841eb3.v1.jpg

I'm sure that your pickles will be fine just let them mellow in a cool dark place until Thanksgiving. Pay attention who goes back for seconds and give them a bottle for Christmas!

Down memory lane here Bea, as a child I remember my Mom always having store bought watermelon pickles for the Thanksgiving table. It seemed odd to me (still does) that anyone would pickle rind, but she loved them.

Good afternoon everyone! Does anyone else make watermelon rind pickles? I made my first batch about two weeks ago but haven't tried them yet to see how they turned out. The recipe I followed called for a lot of sugar and cinnamon, in addition to vinegar and pickling spice. It sounded odd to me, but I was wondering if anyone would share what goes into their watermelon rind pickles.

Oh, I love homemade watermelon pickles. We grew watermelons in our garden a couple of years ago. They had the most perfect and beautiful rinds that I couldn't resist making pickles out of them. My husband had never heard of nor had watermelon pickles so he thought I was totally out of my mind...until he tasted them. Then, he was a believer.

They're great and I hope yours turn out tasty. You'll have to let us know.

Last edited:
My mom makes it. I personally do not like it. It's this sweet and pickled combination that turns me off.

Back
Top Bottom