"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Calling all lemon lovers!

Lemon Relish | mrfood.com

I couldn't start a new thread under fruits and nuts or general cooking information, so I put it here because I know a couple of the lemon lovers check this thread.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #102
Head Chef

I have done my tomato sauce and salsa for the year--tonight I am doing a double batch of 'cowboy candy'. Candied Jalapeños (Cowboy Candy) | Tasty Kitchen Blog

I made a substitution the first time I made it--instead of the cayenne and turmeric, I used an equal amount of Penzey's hot curry powder. The other spices in the curry powder really add a wonderful flavor--my buddy Amy calls this 'cowboy crack'!!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have done my tomato sauce and salsa for the year--tonight I am doing a double batch of 'cowboy candy'. Candied Jalapeños (Cowboy Candy) | Tasty Kitchen Blog

I made a substitution the first time I made it--instead of the cayenne and turmeric, I used an equal amount of Penzey's hot curry powder. The other spices in the curry powder really add a wonderful flavor--my buddy Amy calls this 'cowboy crack'!!
How do you make your salsa?
I roast about 3/4 of the tomatoes, garlic, tomatillos, jalapenos, some onion. Those I process in the FP. Then I add skinned, seeded tomatoes (processed in the FP), more tomatillos, garlic, onion, jalapenos, hot peppers, cumin. At the end, I add lime juice (fresh) and fresh coriander, process in a water bath (depending on jar size). Oh, a bit of maple syrup and salt.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #104
Head Chef

Canning a few jars of sweet pickeled beets
Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #105
Wine Guy

More pickles, more wine this weekend. The pickles are dill spears and hamburger chips. The wine is from last year's vintage.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #106
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've got my big Nesco roaster and another big CP full of apple slices right now, making apple butter. Not sure what we'll do with it all!

Would love to trade for grapes....

Apple butter takes me back to my childhood as my mother bought it all the time and never bought jelly. It was what we ate on bread. No one in my family likes it now so I don't buy it. Last year I made some and it was pretty good, but if I make it again I don't want to put any sugar in it. I do not like a sweet taste and with my diabetes it's better for me without sugar. But then, the only way I eat it is on bread, and I'm not supposed to have much of that either.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #107
Assistant Cook

Chili Bricks

I am making Chili Bricks with a personal family recipe. It was my Uncle Ralph's recipe that he used when he operated a small cafe in Kansas City, MO. His chili was one of his number one sellers as the flavor is fantastic! He handed the recipe down to his dad, my greatgrandfather, and he gave it to me as well. I was 13 then and now I am 66. When I am about to run out of the "bricks" I have to make another batch! I make the Chili Brick recipe in my Nesco Roaster and then freeze it is 2 cup batches as it is only a base. When the bricks are frozen, I vacuum pack them so they will last a long time, if need be, but not at my house as we eat chili year round! The base can be used for taco meat, as well as a whole slew of other Mexican dishes. When I ake chili with it I open up one of my jars of pinto beans and add the brick to it with a jar of my canned diced tomatoes and viola, dinner is done. If I am allowed I will post the recipe, but I am new here today and am just starting to look through the forums!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #108
Senior Cook

I'd love your recipe. Do you can your own pinto beans? I just leave mine dry until I need them and soak over night. Alas, no canned tomatoes this year. My garden produced nothing but green beans this year.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #109
Assistant Cook

Ralph's (my uncle) Chili Bricks Circa 1930

10# "regular" ground beef
8 large onions chopped finely
12 large cloves of garlic minced
1 cooking spoon paprika (a large chef’s spoon)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
10 cooking spoons (a large chef’s spoon) chili powder
1 cooking spoon (a large chef’s spoon) ground cumin

Cook meat garlic and onions until done use no water, will form quite
a lot of juice, but do not ladle off. When this is done add paprika,
chili powder and cumin. Stir well and often while cooking about 15
minutes longer over very low heat. If desired ( and I do) add 2 number 1 cans of
tomato puree and stir often as this mixture burns very easily. When
done pour 2 cups of the mixture into lined loaf pans or other freezer container and freeze. After it is fully frozen pop it out of the containers and Vacuum pac them, label, date and put back into the freezer. They will keep better this way.

Add a can or two of red beans, pinto beans or kidney beans to each block
when you fix to eat.

This is delicious chili! I also like to add a can or two of those Mexican stewed
tomatoes when I add the can of beans. This year I was able to add a quart of diced tomatoes to the brick and it was delicious. If you have none of your own canned tomatoes just use commercial products.

Bon Appetite
Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds really good, a nice foil to just about anything, and very convenient!