What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You put an unopened can or two of SCM, minus the label, in a crock pot, cover with water, and heat on low for 8 to 10 hours, then let cool. It becomes this lovely caramelly sauce that is good straight from the can, or as a fruit dip or spread. You can cook it the same way using sterilized canning jars, or on the stove in simmering water. The CP is nice as you don't have to watch it. Apparently it's quite popular in Mexico.

Last edited:
So how'd label soup turn out? You do realize you can't just boil spoiled food and make it safe for consumption right. ;)

You put an unopened can or two of SCM, minus the label, in a crock pot, cover with water, and heat on low for 8 to 10 hours, then let cool. It becomes this lovely caramelly sauce that is good straight from the can, or as a fruit dip or spread. You can cook it the same way using sterilized canning jars, or on the stove in simmering water. The CP is nice as you don't have to watch it. Apparently it's quite popular in Mexico.
My grandma used to put the unopened, label-free can in a pan of simmering water on the stove. It was fantastic on ice cream, warmed up a bit, topped with salted peanuts...mmmmmm...I always have a can or two in the pantry...like the crockpot method.

15 pints of chokecherry syrup. I have never had anything chokecherry before but DH says I knocked it out of the park. (Boy is it weird saying DH).

Attachments

• DSCN2478.jpg
    DSCN2478.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 154
15 pints of chokecherry syrup. I have never had anything chokecherry before but DH says I knocked it out of the park. (Boy is it weird saying DH).
I'm so envious! My cousin did 42 pints of chokecherry jelly a couple of weeks ago. I canNOT find chokecherry trees in my neck of the woods. I grew up picking chokecherries (from the time I was 5-6 years old), I know what the trees look like, but canNOT find any. We've walked every inch of the back 40, no chokecherry trees. Lots of highbush cranberry and wild grapes...

I'm so envious! My cousin did 42 pints of chokecherry jelly a couple of weeks ago. I canNOT find chokecherry trees in my neck of the woods. I grew up picking chokecherries (from the time I was 5-6 years old), I know what the trees look like, but canNOT find any. We've walked every inch of the back 40, no chokecherry trees. Lots of highbush cranberry and wild grapes...

Northern New Mexico, where I live, had a major early summer freeze and most fruit blossoms were killed. But there is a little pocket of earth up by the Taos Ski Valley that survived and I could stand still and strip berries to my hearts content. I picked 4 gallons on my first picking.

We went to the garden yesterday and picked some more 'maters so today was more sauce. I ended up canning 10 pints of sauce today (19 for the season now).

That's the 8QT stock pot down there with about 7QTs of tomato goodness in it.

30377-albums903-picture6022.jpg

=

30377-albums903-picture6023.jpg

+

30377-albums903-picture6024.jpg

Kathleen has some use for the seeds and skin stuff that came out of the food mill (Ok, so it is the vegetable strainer on the KA)

Last edited:
Stuck some broccoli in the freezer. We finally got our first (small) picking of beans. Too many to eat and not enough to do anything with, so I blanched them and they're in the dehydrator. I was reading about putting the blanched beans in the freezer for a bit before drying, it's supposed to make them come out more like canned beans. Gotta try it.

Also cooked down and froze a container of vegie stock. We save bits and pieces of vegetables (except for cruciferous veg) in the freezer. When we need the space I simmer it all down, strain, cook down to condense and stick it back in the freezer. Once the garden is done I'll mix the containers together, cook down to very concentrated and freeze in ice cube trays. (That's what we do with our tomato guts...IF my tomatoes ever ripen!)

nice haul, frank. you know, i've never canned sauce per se, just tomatoes with the idea that you make the sauce as needed. hmm, i like to use jarred sauce (which is more complete, i guess) when necessity dictates, so why not jar my own? do you add much to your tonato sauce?
i have to rethink my strategies for september, i guess.

thanks, cuz. i've never tried roasting tomatoes before.

the weather in jersey has been perfect for veggie gardens this year, and i planted late, so i can see hundreds of tomatoes coming ready. all at once.. :(

Froze beans, corn, and broccoli last night. Today it's bread and butter pickles and salsa. I think I'll roast the tomatoes and some of the peppers for the salsa....

Back
Top Bottom