"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #141
Assistant Cook

I'm making and pressure canning marinara sauce today. I'm hoping to make and put up least 7 quarts. We go through it quickly!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #142
Head Chef

Making dilly beans tonight--a little dill, a clove of garlic and nice tender green beans.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #143
Senior Cook

Been wide open this summer. Canned 50 quarts of green beans, 21 quarts of frozen creamed corn, 20 quarts of frozen purple hull peas, working on Tomatoes now and blue berries are starting to ripen, muscadines are just a few weeks away.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #144
Assistant Cook

Smile

Well I finally made and pressure canned my marinara sauce Thursday and Friday! I am so proud of myself since I actually pressure canned myself - usually my dh does the pressure canning part for some reason! Its fun to work with him in the kitchen, but I like to be able to learn things for Myself.

So combined Thursday and Friday I pressure canned 14 jars of marinara. I had two, one each batch, that didn't seal which I was amazed at. I used freshly sterilized jars, completely new Ball lids, and did everything the same and I still had two that didn't seal, and when I tried again the next day, (yes, sterilizing everything again, using new lids, boiling the sauce again, etc.) one still didn't seal! So now it's in the fridge, I'll repack it and just freeze it for use during the week.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #145
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm a bit obsessed with some homemade blackberry syrup that a relative gave me. She used wild blackberries and sugar, cooked them down and strained. I almost thought that she must have put some pectin in it since it's got a nice viscosity, not just a runny syrup.

So far I've eaten it on French toast, homemade vanilla bean ice cream and mixed some with seltzer to make a soda.

I really need to make some and can it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our Roma tomato plants are producing heavily now and, by tomorrow, there'll be enough ripe tomatoes to make (and can) a big batch of my oven-roasted tomato sauce. Looking forward to that because our remaining supply of sauce from previous cannings is getting dangerously low.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #147
Assistant Cook

Over the weekend pressure canned 8 jars bruschetta sauce, and today pressure canned four jars Spanish cooking sauce for chicken. I can't wait to use it!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just began the process of making a bunch of oven roasted tomato sauce in anticipation of making a lot more in the coming days. Our Roma plants are producing very, very well and I'm looking forward to many, many jars of the yummy sauce. Began today with about 6 pounds of tomatoes.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #149
Senior Cook

Telling on myself again.....The last thing either my wife or myself canned or preserved was 25 years ago and it was truly special. We made wild blackberry jelly from the HUGE patches of wild blackberries that were prevalent in Western Washington. I did the picking, wading into these nasty patches with heavy leather gloves and ice tongs. The vines were worse than barbed wire. However the jelly my wife made was the very best I have ever tasted of any kind. Fantastic.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #150
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyNight View Post
Over the weekend pressure canned 8 jars bruschetta sauce, and today pressure canned four jars Spanish cooking sauce for chicken. I can't wait to use it!
What is in your bruschetta sauce?