What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been canning pears for about a week.I did
9 pints and 9 quarts of saute ones. 8 pints of pear sauce
and I have about 9 quarts to do tomorrow.
My sister came to visit last week and brought me 13
gallons of peeled frozen tomatoes. 10 pounds of blue berries
10 pounds of figs and 80 pounds of pears.
She is taking home 24 pints of canned black beans, and 10
pints of sauer kraut, 14 pints of pinto beans. We do this ever year.
I will be canning veggie soup next with some of the tomatoes.

Josie

Last edited:
Oh, wow, what a day. I can barely stand on my feet. 3 gallons of pickled tomatoes, washed and filtered. And 3 more put up for pickling. 1 gallon ajika, not sure what's it called in English. And a whole bunch if Greek egg plant salad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Oh, wow, what a day. I can barely stand on my feet. 3 gallons of pickled tomatoes, washed and filtered. And 3 more put up for pickling. 1 gallon ajika, not sure what's it called in English. And a whole bunch if Greek egg plant salad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Recipe for pickled tomatoes and Greek eggplant salad, please?

CW, pickled tomatoes are definitely in my Ukrainian thread and also there was a thread about green tomatoes, there it should be also. Greek Eggplant salad, G-d willing tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Eggplant salad: (TNT)

Some people call it Greek eggplant salad, well I’ve never been to Greece, neither has my mother or grand mother, but as far back as I remember they have been making this recipe every fall.

Right now when there is abundance of eggplant and red bell peppers I would like to share my recipe.

2 medium eggplants
3-4 red bell peppers
1 medium onion
1-2 table spoon ketchup or tomato sauce
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste. You can add cayenne pepper instead if you like your food spicy.
1-2 table spoons olive oil for sautéing.

Wash the eggplants and tomatoes. Make a long slit in the eggplant, so it doesn’t explode during baking. Bake at 350-375 for about an hour or two, or until very soft. Let it cool down. While baking, dice and sauté the onion in olive oil. When egg plant and peppers are cool enough to handle get rid of skin and maybe even seeds, do not spend too much time doing that. If you have meat grinder great, if you have food processor it’s good, your two hands and a sharp knife will also do the job. I prefer the first one. Put the eggplant and peppers thru the meat grinder. When onion is golden brown, add the eggplant/pepper mixture to frying pan, add the bay leaves and ketchup/tomato sauce, season and sauté for about 5-10 minutes. Keep the fire at medium-low. Taste, re-season if necessary. Done. The best way to keep it is in the glass jar. It will keep in refrigerator for up to 6 month if you decide to make it a lot. Just make sure the jars are very clean, best if washed on hot cycle in dishwasher and the mixture out is hot, almost like canning. If you can get your hands on a lot of eggplants and red bell pepper you can stock up for almost whole winter.

Attachments

• 20140914_151253[1].jpg
    20140914_151253[1].jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 143
Also, people use green tomatoes for pickling, that's fine of course. But I like red ones, though they will not less as long as green ones, that is why I usually take the tomatoes that are just pass the green stage, just about as the one in this photo

Attachments

• 20140914_155607[1].jpg
    20140914_155607[1].jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 144
Sounds interesting Charlie. How do you use it?

I eat it with bread, or as a dip, or as is with nothing, or with cold cut sandwich, my wife likes it hot. You can have it with the meat, or chicken. Really the use is endless. Anything you can imagine goes. It can be spicy or mild, depending on your taste. I actually forgot to mention garlic. I did not have bay leaves at home, but did have a lot of garlic, so I crushed some garlic in when I was sauteing the onion. You can add any spices you like, you can skip the tomato sauce. The result is still great.

Guess a bresaola would be preserving. I've wanted to try one since before last Christmas when I got a bunch of supplies for charcuterie for Craig as part of his gifts. Finally started 1 a couple of weeks ago. It will be coming out of the cure later today to be tied up and hung to dry.

Eggplant salad: (TNT)

Some people call it Greek eggplant salad, well I’ve never been to Greece, neither has my mother or grand mother, but as far back as I remember they have been making this recipe every fall.

Right now when there is abundance of eggplant and red bell peppers I would like to share my recipe.

2 medium eggplants
3-4 red bell peppers
1 medium onion
1-2 table spoon ketchup or tomato sauce
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste. You can add cayenne pepper instead if you like your food spicy.
1-2 table spoons olive oil for sautéing.

Wash the eggplants and tomatoes. Make a long slit in the eggplant, so it doesn’t explode during baking. Bake at 350-375 for about an hour or two, or until very soft. Let it cool down. While baking, dice and sauté the onion in olive oil. When egg plant and peppers are cool enough to handle get rid of skin and maybe even seeds, do not spend too much time doing that. If you have meat grinder great, if you have food processor it’s good, your two hands and a sharp knife will also do the job. I prefer the first one. Put the eggplant and peppers thru the meat grinder. When onion is golden brown, add the eggplant/pepper mixture to frying pan, add the bay leaves and ketchup/tomato sauce, season and sauté for about 5-10 minutes. Keep the fire at medium-low. Taste, re-season if necessary. Done. The best way to keep it is in the glass jar. It will keep in refrigerator for up to 6 month if you decide to make it a lot. Just make sure the jars are very clean, best if washed on hot cycle in dishwasher and the mixture out is hot, almost like canning. If you can get your hands on a lot of eggplants and red bell pepper you can stock up for almost whole winter.

Charlie, how many tomatoes would you add for this? Do they also get roasted?

I do not add any tomatoes. Though I do not see why not. I'd say 1 per eggplant, and either roast or sautéed with the onions in the pan.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

It's that time of year again isn't it. I'm thinking about edible gifts. Today I'm going to process the apple butter. It's been a while so I need to refresh my memory on how to go about it.

If I get to costco this week and find some nice pears, I'll do pear butter next weekend. I think I'm going to try and can some curry ketchup this year. I make it for the fridge so trying to can it will be something new.

We've been dealing with all the green tomatoes we pulled out of the greenhouses when it froze. During the week DH has been running whatever's ripe through the foley food mill and simmering it down with herbs and garlic for pizza sauce. He vacuum sealed and froze enough for 10 pizzas. Today I softened a bunch in the oven and ran through the Victorio strainer salsa screen. Canned up five qt and eight pt of chopped tomatoes and there's chili sauce (the chunky ketchup-ey kind) and chipotle ketchup simmering down. And a couple of racks of red cherry tomatoes cut in half and seasoned with garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little oregano in the dehydrator.

Also canned 10 pt of plain Tongue of Fire beans and eight pt in bbq sauce.

mmyap, I'm thinking Christmas also. I just pulled several jars of so-so applesauce out of the pantry. Going to simmer it down for caramel apple butter (once I plow through the last thirty-or-so pounds of tomatoes!)

Wow, you've been busy, Bookbrat!

I finished dehydrating my beef jerky, and I have a feeling it won't last very long. Good stuff! Marinated overnight in a mishmash of worster, soy, teriyaki, honey, black and red pepper, and garlic powder. Patted dry, then into the dehydrator.

Wow, you've been busy, Bookbrat!

I finished dehydrating my beef jerky, and I have a feeling it won't last very long. Good stuff! Marinated overnight in a mishmash of worster, soy, teriyaki, honey, black and red pepper, and garlic powder. Patted dry, then into the dehydrator.

Years ago I had a recipe for beef jerky and it used liquid smoke. Of course I lost it, and haven't seen a recipe with it since then. Unless someone here has a similar recipe, I am on the hunt again. :angel:

Years ago I had a recipe for beef jerky and it used liquid smoke. Of course I lost it, and haven't seen a recipe with it since then. Unless someone here has a similar recipe, I am on the hunt again. :angel:

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot I used some liquid smoke in this batch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom