What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FrankZ said:
Psst... add some jalapeno....

I do have one, it's about an inch long...just a baby, but may have to sacrifice.

Last edited:
Our growing season in the UK has been so late because it's been soooo wet. Finally getting sunshine for about a week now which hopefully kick start the tomato and chile ripening. Then it's on to some Jams, salsas, tapenades, and cooking sauces (Mexican, Italian mostly) for my small local food biz. And hopefully a few extras for the fam.
I feel for you--we had 3 years of wet--now we have drought. Can't win. Whereas our squash plants drowned last year (and the year before, and the year before that), now they are burnt and wilted.

Not really canning, but slicing cucumbers to make my son some pickles. He just loves them and it's such an easy recipe so it's pickles for TT.
kades:yum:

Here are some of pics of some of the stuff I hauled home from the garden. Not pictured are the green beans, kale, chard, onions, okra, lettuce, or beets. I've dealt with the corn, bok choy, and dragon tongue beans (that mess of stuff in the right-hand corner of the 1st pic). I'm working on the purple pole beans (last picture) and ate 3/5 cobs of corn. The other 2 are going into a corn salad tomorrow.

Attachments

• August 3 garden 014.jpg
    August 3 garden 014.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 254
  • August 3 garden 019.jpg
    August 3 garden 019.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 252
  • August 3 garden 020.jpg
    August 3 garden 020.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
My garden had too many plum tomatoes so I am preparing sun dried tomatoes for the winter .......sun dried but in the oven :)

yes yes I prepare tomato,basil and green pepper sauce
but plum tomatoes i keep them only for sun dried recipe, it is the best mezes with a glass of ouzo and taste heavenly on my pizza :)

Have a nice weekend Margi

Corn salad - check, 4-bean salad - check. Wings marinating - check. But, I'm still freezing green beans from yesterday. Ugh. So many beans...and the pole beans just started this week. Once the beans are done, I will be making Swiss Chard with 4 cheeses tarts in the mini-pie maker (those will go in the freezer) followed by egg rolls, my grandma's cole slaw recipe and her fudge cake recipe. Should be an interesting day in the kitchen--hope to have everything done (and the kitchen cleaned up) by 3:30 when the DH is supposed to arrive.

Last edited:
Souvlaki said:
My garden had too many plum tomatoes so I am preparing sun dried tomatoes for the winter .......sun dried but in the oven :)

I love this preserving method too cuz it doesn't take up freezer space. I tend to roast a lot of my tomatoes, freezing both fruits and juice ( separately).

Today was a cool enough day and we had the time. Thawed out my raspberries, some blueberries and cherries. We made dozens of jars of cherry jelly, raspberry preserves, blueberry preserves, and some mixed berries too. Still have more to go. Lot of half pint size jars, as that's the size we had the most of. A nice breeze blowing in from the back door and out the kitchen windows as well as the ceiling fan kept us cool all day.

I did 3 canner loads of a hot sweet salsa--it is the chili sauce recipe from the Ball Blue Book, but I use all hot peppers and leave out the spices from the orginal recipe. It is the one thing people ask me for--so if you are on my Christmas list, I got ya covered.

The drought doesn't seem to have affected my tomatoes, but I have no beans or cukes. Lots of patty pans, and I have dried some of those, as an experiment.

I left the beans for the DH. I brought home two head of bok choy and will go back out tomorrow evening. Sure I can't bring you some eggs, kale, sweet corn, purple pole beans, a head of cabbage as well as the potatoes, TL?

I left the beans for the DH. I brought home two head of bok choy and will go back out tomorrow evening. Sure I can't bring you some eggs, kale, sweet corn, purple pole beans, a head of cabbage as well as the potatoes, TL?
It all sounds good to me. So, any of that you have plenty of, please, except maybe the corn. Is that sweet corn the bicolour kind? Hate that stuff. Too sweet for me. I like the old fashioned yellow stuff. Greedy bugger, ain't I. ;)

Back
Top Bottom