"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #241
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
nice haul, frank. you know, i've never canned sauce per se, just tomatoes with the idea that you make the sauce as needed. hmm, i like to use jarred sauce (which is more complete, i guess) when necessity dictates, so why not jar my own? do you add much to your tonato sauce?
i have to rethink my strategies for september, i guess.
I don't add anything except some citric acid.

I also tend to can the sauce a little on the thin side so it can be reduced while cooking whatever I am cooking.

I will say I think I am done with sauce for the year. We have 24 pints in the basement and that should last us. Next haul will be gazpacho again I think.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #242
Chef Extraordinaire

BT, I do my sauce in the roaster oven.I roast 1/2 to 2/3 of the tomatoes first, and then run all the tomatoes through my tomato strainer to remove the skins and seeds. I run the "puree" through the strainer 2-3 times.

I salt, pepper, and add garlic cloves and fresh oregano when I'm roasting the tomatoes. I tend not to add more seasoning until I use the sauce. I freeze the sauce instead of canning it. I don't have enough jar space to can a lot of tomatoes. I use Roma-type tomatoes. I freeze the sauce flat in zippy bags on a cookie sheet and then move them to the spot in the freezer. To make paste, I just cook it longer in the roaster oven (12-16 hours at 250 overnight) and then freeze the paste in ice cube trays, pop the frozen chunks of tomato paste in a zippy.

I add

Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #243
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, cws. good info to try out in the coming weeks.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, with all the wet weather, our tomatoes got "late blight." This means I have tons of green tomatoes that have some blight. Have to burn the plants, the cut off pieces, etc., etc. So, what to do with green tomatoes? I love, love, love salsa. I roasted four pans (about 8 c) of green tomatoes, tossed with EVOO, S&P, roasted cumin, some red pepper flakes, ground coriander, garlic cloves and the few red and yellow tomatoes I had picked here (not at the farm). I also chopped up a bunch of tomatoes (roughly) in the FP (green, the remaining red and yellow I had), 4 med. sized onions, 5-6 cloves of garlic, 5 jalapeno peppers, a couple of the hot "Texas" peppers, a bit more sea salt, 1/2 of a very large sweet green pepper, juice of 2 limes. I will add fresh coriander later. I have to say, despite the fact it is not made from ripe tomatoes, this salsa is tasting mighty fine. Oh, I added a couple of drops of natural smoke and chilpolte powder, a little bit of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. It is simmering on the stove, imagine it will simmer for about 2 hours, then I will bag it and throw it in the freezer. Sorry, folks, I just don't cook using recipes. But this is tasting very "salsa-like." Who knew green tomatoes could be made into salsa?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #245
Chef Extraordinaire

If tomatillos can be made into salsa, why not green tomatoes? Sounds great
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #246
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If tomatillos can be made into salsa, why not green tomatoes? Sounds great
Tomatillos are not quite ready--got lots of those and do a tomatillo-corn salsa. Just had to do something with these green tomatoes. The effect of the blight on the 300+ plants makes me want to weep.We lost about 70% of the plants. So heart breaking. But, this salsa is tasting mighty fine. See if the DH likes it.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #247
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Been a busy day. I made a dent in the Italian green beans as far as my jars would go. I ended up with 14 quarts and enough cleaned beans for at least another 7 quarts. As long as I was chained to the kitchen I roasted some more tomatoes for sauce and now have enough roasted sauce to make up a bunch of my "special" recipe and will can that on Wednesday. I'm totally out of any kind of canning jar so will have to get some when I do my marketing tomorrow. It's just as well since I've had enough of canning for one day and a day's break will be welcome. Because...

...the corn will be ready on Thursday. Okey, dokey!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #248
Cupcake

Has anyone ever canned green tomatoes for frying?

After reading this blog (and using Google to find others,) I might try canning some green tomatoes at the end of the season for frying. I'm addicted to fried green tomatoes!

~Kathleen
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Has anyone ever canned green tomatoes for frying?

After reading this blog (and using Google to find others,) I might try canning some green tomatoes at the end of the season for frying. I'm addicted to fried green tomatoes!

~Kathleen
I haven't, but a friend of mine canned sliced, green tomatoes. She didn't fry them. She just put them on sandwiches and said they were great that way.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #250
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I haven't, but a friend of mine canned sliced, green tomatoes. She didn't fry them. She just put them on sandwiches and said they were great that way.
Do you know how she canned them?

Tonight, I started round two of 14-day pickles and canned 7 pints of garlic-mustard dill pickles! A co-worker brought in excess cucumbers to me!