"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #271
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I am almost ready to put the canners and stuff up for the winter. I have done roasted tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 'v-8' juice, strawberry jelly, green beans, pickled beans, refrigerator pickles, and I froze sweet corn and some tomatoes.

I found a recipe for maple pecan syrup that I am going to make for my Christmas baskets. I have 2 quarts of homemade maple syrup and several pounds of pecans, so all I need is the time!!

How do you make your V-8 juice?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #272
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's amazing how many folks forget the tater-tots with the ketchup.

Jennyma's favorite food is Tater-tots. She probably has every recipe that was written for them.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #273
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Later Tater!
He is so fresh! Send him to the corner to stand there and think. But we love him anyway.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #274
Assistant Cook

I've been craving some good bread and butter pickles lately, so I stopped at a local farm stand and picked up a few pounds of pickling cucumbers, got them soaking now. Looking forward to having a few jars on hand for the fall and winter :)
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #275
Master Chef

Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine. Boo Hoo. Be careful of what you complain about!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine. Boo Hoo. Be careful of what you complain about!
I hear you--we got hit with late blight...200 plants and about 1/8th of what we normally get. I broke down and bought 50 lb at a u-pick/buy picked place. I could've cried when we had to pull the plants that 2 weeks before had been the picture of perfect, loaded with fruit...I empathize with those Irish immigrants who faced the potato blight...heartbreaking. I won't be sharing any of the tomato sauce I make...cabbage, beans, zucchini, corn, kale, chard, beets and carrots, as well as winter squash have done well (as have the pumpkins...plant those for the dogs) and the sunflowers (plant those for the Girls--they are oil-seed sunflowers, not confections). NO eggplant fruit--but a friend had surplus so I got a few. And the leeks have done well.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is the time of year I would like to kick the canning equipment down into the ravine and be done with it. DH has learned from experience that no, we don't want any more peppers or cukes donated by friends.

But now the apples from our tree are coming on.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This is the time of year I would like to kick the canning equipment down into the ravine and be done with it. DH has learned from experience that no, we don't want any more peppers or cukes donated by friends.

But now the apples from our tree are coming on.
I can relate. The DH suggested I pick and freeze more beans before he left on a business trip yesterday...my response, really? I would trade beans for tomatoes...but more beans, really?!!

I was watching New Scandinavian Cooking the other day. Andreas took halibut, covered it with a bunch of fresh herbs, and then put sliced cucumber in the roasting pan to add cucumber juice to the fish, at the 15 minute mark (I think he said 20 minutes at 400), he added 1/2 c white wine (don't know why that wouldn't work with any mild white fish, including walleye if I had a surplus of walleye).

I also caught a Marcus Samuelson segment (love him--I could just take him home) the other day--he had a bunch of what he called spring veggies (more like fall here--carrots, beets, green onions) that he was cooking in butter and oil in a pan. When they were almost done, he splashed some pickle juice in...said that was his Grandma Helga's (or is that Helge) trick (southern Sweden). So if you've put up dill pickles, that's another thing to do with the brine (i freeze it if I don't drink it--it also makes a mean martini instead of vermouth...with a spear of a dill pickle instead of an olive or two).
Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

On what channel do you find Marcus Samuelsson? I didn't know he has a food show.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #280
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
On what channel do you find Marcus Samuelsson? I didn't know he has a food show.
PBS Create--don't get that on Shaw at home, so I get my fix when I'm at the farm.