What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It all sounds good to me. So, any of that you have plenty of, please, except maybe the corn. Is that sweet corn the bicolour kind? Hate that stuff. Too sweet for me. I like the old fashioned yellow stuff. Greedy bugger, ain't I. ;)
The first corn is always bicoloured, the next round will be the yellow stuff, and the last round before the frost will be the white (silver queen) corn. I am partial to the bicoloured, so I'd be happy to not bring you any of that:LOL:. More for me! More for me!

Cut and froze corn, pickled the little beets and made and canned corn relish today. Love, love love this time of year!

busy day today, just finished coocing my zucchini, cinnamon, chocolate marmelade.
Now cooking fig marmelade
and grilling eggplants and peppers for my pindzur (balkan relish)

The first corn is always bicoloured, the next round will be the yellow stuff, and the last round before the frost will be the white (silver queen) corn. I am partial to the bicoloured, so I'd be happy to not bring you any of that:LOL:. More for me! More for me!

I am good with the silver queen... so yer welcome to bring that on over this way.

:cool:

What do a carving knife and an angel food cake pan have in common? They are handy tools when preparing 7 dozen ears of corn for the freezer. I've never liked freezing it on the cob, so I cut the kernels off after blanching and chilling. Standing the cob up on the angel food pan and using the electric carving knife makes it possible to do 7 dozen ears in just over an hour. The pan catches the kernels, so they don't fly all over the counter. I transfer the kernels to a bowl (easier to scoop them out and pop into a zippie). I "suck" excess air out with a straw. I have two bag sealers, but I don't like them...go figure.

CWS4322 said:
What do a carving knife and an angel food cake pan have in common? They are handy tools when preparing 7 dozen ears of corn for the freezer. I've never liked freezing it on the cob, so I cut the kernels off after blanching and chilling. Standing the cob up on the angel food pan and using the electric carving knife makes it possible to do 7 dozen ears in just over an hour. The pan catches the kernels, so they don't fly all over the counter. I transfer the kernels to a bowl (easier to scoop them out and pop into a zippie). I "suck" excess air out with a straw. I have two bag sealers, but I don't like them...go figure.

I've heard that really works too!

It does really work. I actually picked up a 2nd electric carving knife and spare angel food pan so the DH can use the same tools when he's around to do corn. I put the angel food pan on a plastic tray so the counter doesn't get all wet.

I started doing this a couple years ago and it has made putting up corn so much easier! I did have to invest in another angel food cake pan as the "neck" of mine got pretty scratched up and cake started to stick.

Ad a separate note, I didn't blanch our corn this year. We tried a different method using ice with delicious results!

I started doing this a couple years ago and it has made putting up corn so much easier! I did have to invest in another angel food cake pan as the "neck" of mine got pretty scratched up and cake started to stick.

Ad a separate note, I didn't blanch our corn this year. We tried a different method using ice with delicious results!
Care to share the method--there's a lot more corn in the corn patch.

Hopefully I will be preserving my sanity by getting out of the house for a while and away from that screaming little brat in the park behind me. She has made this a VERY LONG summer and I can't wait for school to start so she can get on that little yellow school bus and be carted far away from here where she can scream her head off on someone else's playground!

Care to share the method--there's a lot more corn in the corn patch.

I normally blanch, cool, cut and pack but wanted to try something different based on friend's corn and because I didn't want to heat up the house with all the steam. This is their method ...

In a large bowl, combine the following ...
20 C Corn
2 Tbl Salt
5 C Ice
1 C Cold Water

Stir perodically until ice is completely melted.

I scooped the corn and liquid into freezer bags and froze. We've had 2 bags since I froze them and because of the salt water added with the corn, I didn't have to add any water to my pan or any salt to the final dish. I also think the corn was a bit firmer than normal.

My house smells like an Italian restaurant! I have 3 trays of Roma tomatoes roasting in the oven. I added garlic, sea salt, pepper, Greek basil, Greek oregano, rosemary, and a bit of the smoked garlic powder from last weekend's post-garlic festival outing (brushed the toms first with EVOO).

On the subject of corn, has anyone made a corn salad and frozen that? I have made freezer pickles and freezer coleslaw and have been pleased with the results, just wondering about freezing corn salad....

My house smells like an Italian restaurant! I have 3 trays of Roma tomatoes roasting in the oven. I added garlic, sea salt, pepper, Greek basil, Greek oregano, rosemary, and a bit of the smoked garlic powder from last weekend's post-garlic festival outing (brushed the toms first with EVOO).

You're roasting tomatoes with Greek oregano and Greek basil and your house smells like an ITALIAN restaurant? I don't understand...

Did 10 jars of salsa, a pint of pickled beets and 4 quarts (bags) of green beans with a friend new to preserving last night and then 6 pints of my own tomatoes today. I should be good on my tomatoes for a week or so then will have another batch ready to can.

I roasted about 10-12 lb of tomatoes, made puree today (freezer). I've got 2 gal. of green bush beans ready to go, 1 doz ears of corn in the wings. Then it is back out to the farm to get more....BEANS. Ugh.

I have been hunting all over DC and I can't seem to find instructions for dehydrating tomatoes or a recipe for roasting them. If anyone has a link, please post it.

Back
Top Bottom