"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #311
Head Chef

Guess a bresaola would be preserving. I've wanted to try one since before last Christmas when I got a bunch of supplies for charcuterie for Craig as part of his gifts. Finally started 1 a couple of weeks ago. It will be coming out of the cure later today to be tied up and hung to dry.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #312
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks Charlie. I was drawing a blank on uses. Now I can imagine what to do with it.

I think this recipe should go in Salads & Salad Dressings - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums or Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums so it doesn't get lost.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #313
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Eggplant salad: (TNT)

Some people call it Greek eggplant salad, well I’ve never been to Greece, neither has my mother or grand mother, but as far back as I remember they have been making this recipe every fall.

Right now when there is abundance of eggplant and red bell peppers I would like to share my recipe.

2 medium eggplants
3-4 red bell peppers
1 medium onion
1-2 table spoon ketchup or tomato sauce
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste. You can add cayenne pepper instead if you like your food spicy.
1-2 table spoons olive oil for sautéing.

Wash the eggplants and tomatoes. Make a long slit in the eggplant, so it doesn’t explode during baking. Bake at 350-375 for about an hour or two, or until very soft. Let it cool down. While baking, dice and sauté the onion in olive oil. When egg plant and peppers are cool enough to handle get rid of skin and maybe even seeds, do not spend too much time doing that. If you have meat grinder great, if you have food processor it’s good, your two hands and a sharp knife will also do the job. I prefer the first one. Put the eggplant and peppers thru the meat grinder. When onion is golden brown, add the eggplant/pepper mixture to frying pan, add the bay leaves and ketchup/tomato sauce, season and sauté for about 5-10 minutes. Keep the fire at medium-low. Taste, re-season if necessary. Done. The best way to keep it is in the glass jar. It will keep in refrigerator for up to 6 month if you decide to make it a lot. Just make sure the jars are very clean, best if washed on hot cycle in dishwasher and the mixture out is hot, almost like canning. If you can get your hands on a lot of eggplants and red bell pepper you can stock up for almost whole winter.
Charlie, how many tomatoes would you add for this? Do they also get roasted?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #314
Master Chef

I do not add any tomatoes. Though I do not see why not. I'd say 1 per eggplant, and either roast or sautéed with the onions in the pan.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #315
Sous Chef

It's that time of year again isn't it. I'm thinking about edible gifts. Today I'm going to process the apple butter. It's been a while so I need to refresh my memory on how to go about it.

If I get to costco this week and find some nice pears, I'll do pear butter next weekend. I think I'm going to try and can some curry ketchup this year. I make it for the fridge so trying to can it will be something new.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #316
Senior Cook

We've been dealing with all the green tomatoes we pulled out of the greenhouses when it froze. During the week DH has been running whatever's ripe through the foley food mill and simmering it down with herbs and garlic for pizza sauce. He vacuum sealed and froze enough for 10 pizzas. Today I softened a bunch in the oven and ran through the Victorio strainer salsa screen. Canned up five qt and eight pt of chopped tomatoes and there's chili sauce (the chunky ketchup-ey kind) and chipotle ketchup simmering down. And a couple of racks of red cherry tomatoes cut in half and seasoned with garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little oregano in the dehydrator.

Also canned 10 pt of plain Tongue of Fire beans and eight pt in bbq sauce.

mmyap, I'm thinking Christmas also. I just pulled several jars of so-so applesauce out of the pantry. Going to simmer it down for caramel apple butter (once I plow through the last thirty-or-so pounds of tomatoes!)
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #317
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you canning/preserving today?

Wow, you've been busy, Bookbrat!

I finished dehydrating my beef jerky, and I have a feeling it won't last very long. Good stuff! Marinated overnight in a mishmash of worster, soy, teriyaki, honey, black and red pepper, and garlic powder. Patted dry, then into the dehydrator.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #318
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Wow, you've been busy, Bookbrat!

I finished dehydrating my beef jerky, and I have a feeling it won't last very long. Good stuff! Marinated overnight in a mishmash of worster, soy, teriyaki, honey, black and red pepper, and garlic powder. Patted dry, then into the dehydrator.

Years ago I had a recipe for beef jerky and it used liquid smoke. Of course I lost it, and haven't seen a recipe with it since then. Unless someone here has a similar recipe, I am on the hunt again.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #319
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Years ago I had a recipe for beef jerky and it used liquid smoke. Of course I lost it, and haven't seen a recipe with it since then. Unless someone here has a similar recipe, I am on the hunt again.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot I used some liquid smoke in this batch.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #320
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot I used some liquid smoke in this batch.
You are welcome. I found the recipe I was looking for on Wiki. With pictorial instructions.