"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #321
Everymom

I've not canned anything as we've been eating the bounty as fast as I can process it! Sheesh! I have a ton of apple pies in the freezer, and I made a vat of applesauce that my daughters inhaled. Now I'm going to work on the tomatoes. I've got a LOT of green ones, but they're ripening quickly in the house. The ripe ones have made a few batches of sauce but they are eaten quickly. If I can jar some, I'd be a happy girl.

How does everyone do their tomatoes? I saw Bookbrat's method with the food mill. I tend to cut my tomatoes, sprinkle with some coarse salt and roast them in the oven for a bit. Depending on what they're for I might add in some garlic and onion to roast as well. Then I just buzz the whole lot in the food processor. No problem with skins.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #322
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you canning/preserving today?

I like Ina Garten's recipe for roasted cherry toms with a bit of olive oil. Then I freeze them in ziplocks. They make great sauce!

I went ahead and picked the rest of the green cherry toms, we haven't had a hard freeze yet, but it's cold enough that they're not going to get any riper on the vines. The plan is to make green tomato hotdog relish. Found a few nice looking recipes that I'll mix and match, and either can or freeze it.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #323
Assistant Cook

Does anyone have a pressure cooker canner? I use water bath but trying to decide if the other may be better? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #324
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We have a Fagor Futuro and have been happy with it. I do think it can be small at 10QT but that's how it is. We just make multiple runs if needed.

Not everything needs to be pressure canned.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #325
Assistant Cook

Thanks Frank, I do most of mine with water bath, but this year had tons of beans and everything I read said to use pressure canner, so I froze them. Not a huge fan of frozen veggies, thought if I could can them it would be better

Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #326
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian123 View Post
Thanks Frank, I do most of mine with water bath, but this year had tons of beans and everything I read said to use pressure canner, so I froze them. Not a huge fan of frozen veggies, thought if I could can them it would be better
Keep in mind the rated capacity for most canners seems to be regular mouth, not wide mouth, jars.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #327
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Just finished up making and putting up 7 pints my own recipe for marinara,
with a bit leftover for meat sauce tonight with homemade three cheese raviolis for Sunday Supper
I'm pooped
Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #328
Senior Cook

Marian, vegetables and meats should be pressure canned. This is a good place to read about pressure canning vs waterbath. National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can.

We've almost made it through the last of the tomatoes. Nine pints of roasted tomato garlic soup cooling in the pressure canner. A couple of quarts of plain tomato sauce simmering down to paste and then I'll dry it in tbsp 'plops'. And about a gallon of spaghetti sauce, some for dinner and the rest into food saver bags to freeze. Last week I did the same with chili fixings (minus the beans). Getting tired of tomatoes, but will be glad for the fast food this winter.

Halved and seasoned cherry tomatoes, kale, chard and sliced garlic in the dehydrator.

And a big pot of vegie scraps simmering down for stock.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #329
Assistant Cook

Thanks Bookbrat, I'll check that info out

Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #330
Chef Extraordinaire

No canning here, but I have been dehydrating sumac this weekend to make ground sumac. I also took the leftover beef-mushroom gravy and dehydrated that. I put that through the spice grinder to make a powder as well. I am not big on using bouillion--I prefer to use homemade stock, but sometimes I don't have stock in the freezer, so thought I'd give this a try. It worked well. I used the "fruit leather" tray and dehydrated it at 135 for about 10 hours.