"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #341
Master Chef

Picked few last bell peppers, still green. Not sure what to do with them. I do not like green peppers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #342
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Picked few last bell peppers, still green. Not sure what to do with them. I do not like green peppers.

Try putting them in a sunny window. If they fail to turn red, give them to a grateful neighbor.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #343
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ok. I'll ask. Why do you grow them if you don't like them?

Actually, I guess I've done the same thing. I don't like zucchini that much, either. But I've planted them... and regretted it later when I had far more than I could eat or give away.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #344
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't like them raw or by themselves, but I do like them cooked with other ingredients. I use onions, garlic and a variety of colored peppers as a base for all kinds of dishes - chicken or steak fajitas, sloppy Joes, spaghetti sauce, Thai chicken or shrimp curry, stuffed with a beef mixture and topped with tomato sauce, and tortellini Alfredo are some examples.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #345
Master Chef

Thank G-d fr my mom. She came to help today. I had a whole bunch of apples from my tree. She peeled them for me, I end up with 8 quart pot full of peeled, sliced apples. I made apple sauce from it. I never really made that much apple sauce before.when kids were babies I used to make just enough for a little snack. Here I have A half a gallon jar and another one that is like 3/4 of a liter. Not even sure what to do with that.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #346
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Ok. I'll ask. Why do you grow them if you don't like them?

Actually, I guess I've done the same thing. I don't like zucchini that much, either. But I've planted them... and regretted it later when I had far more than I could eat or give away.
I don't grow green peppers, they just did not have chance to get red. Kind of hilly outside. They are actually red peppers. And to be honest with you last year they all got red much earlier. Not sure what happened this year. They kept coming and coming, I mean the new peppers.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #347
Master Chef

Made about a gallon of apple sauce yesterday. Now, who's going to eat all of it? Also made Citron jelly. Smells absolutely amazing. Tastes great too.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #348
Chef Extraordinaire

As every farmer knows, you are not in charge of what grows in your garden. Mother Nature is. And she does have a sense of humor.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #349
Wine Guy

Thought it might be a good time to bump up this thread again. I've been canning a lot of stuff over the last couple months, and was curious what everyone else has been preserving this year.

Yesterday I scored big at the farmers market. One vendor, a young lady, had sweet red peppers for $2 a tray - way too expensive. I looked behind the table and noticed she also had huge baskets of the same peppers. I asked, "How much for a basket?" Well, she didn't know, so she asked an older woman sitting on the back of the truck. Her mother, I was assuming. The older woman replied in a language that wasn't English. The young girl turns to me and says, "You can have the whole basket for $10."

So I spent the remainder of the morning charring and smoking peppers on the grill to make fire roasted salsa - 12 pints altogether. I have to say it's probably the best batch I've ever made. The peppers had a nice sweetness to begin with, that was brought out even more by roasting them.

By the way, I don't use many tomatoes in my canned salsa. Just three Roma tomatoes for the entire gallon and a half. I really like the taste of roasted peppers and find that tomatoes sort of "take over" the flavor if you overdo them.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of photos.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #350
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looks good Steve. I was looking at the date and I couldn't figure out what month "Kro" was. D'oh! It says "Kroll", not Kro 11 2015.