What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sparrowgrass's method, 400 degrees for an hour

found that in a post from last year and it was Dawg's post not Sparrowgrass's.

taxlady said:
I have been hunting all over DC and I can't seem to find instructions for dehydrating tomatoes or a recipe for roasting them. If anyone has a link, please post it.

TL, I just cut up my toms into half- inch slices or chunks, put them on the tray and dehydrate away. With cherry toms, I cut them in half and dry cutside up. Blissfull had started the thread, it was pretty recent.

Oh good, PF found the roasting.

Last edited:
I have been hunting all over DC and I can't seem to find instructions for dehydrating tomatoes or a recipe for roasting them. If anyone has a link, please post it.
For Romas, I slice them vertically into 4ths--not quarters. So instead of cutting in half, I cut into four (sometimes 5) slices. I don't seed or skin them first. I dehydrate at 140 for about 12-18 hours. I rotate the racks every 5-6 hours. I then put them in the freezer for 24 hours to finish and store in an airtight jar.

For Romas, I slice them vertically into 4ths--not quarters. So instead of cutting in half, I cut into four (sometimes 5) slices. I don't seed or skin them first. I dehydrate at 140 for about 12-18 hours. I rotate the racks every 5-6 hours. I then put them in the freezer for 24 hours to finish and store in an airtight jar.
What does the freezing do?

What does the freezing do?
I "think" it removes any remaining moisture. When I got my dehydrator, the booklet that came with it recommended putting the dehydrated stuff in the freezer for 24 hours. I've been following the manufacturer's instructions! :rolleyes: I haven't had any of the stuff I've dehydrated get moldy because of a bit of moisture remaining.

I've never frozen anything I've dehydrated. If it's leathery, I may keep it in the fridge. If it's crispy, it goes in the cupboard. If the crispy stuff is frozen, it would lose its crispyness.

I popped over to the garden today, since it seems like forever since I was there, and picked some jalapenos, Thai chili (Medusa Head) and bell peppers. I also got a couple okra and a few sauce tomatoes.

I just got done canning some pickled jalapenos. I got 8 jelly jars, so I am pretty excited. And it sounds like they all pulled down... :)

Salsa, salsa and more salsa! Not only do I have to keep my pantry full, I also have to keep my brother-in-law supplied. ;)

Looking to do peaches and pears but I have a question on the pears ... I am going to use the Blue Ball Book but how do I know when the pears are ready? And how do I peel them, like an apple or ... ? Thank you for any information!

Looking to do peaches and pears but I have a question on the pears ... I am going to use the Blue Ball Book but how do I know when the pears are ready? And how do I peel them, like an apple or ... ? Thank you for any information!
Yup, you peel pears the same way you peel apples.

If it were me, I would be making some brandied peaches and find out what kind of booze works well with pears.

Please send them to me. I'll let you know when they're ready. There may not be any left....

I'd peel them with a vegetable peeler. If they yield slightly to pressure, they're good. Or take a bite. Or send them to me.

Thank you ladies :rolleyes: ... Going to pull out my handy-dandy veggie peeler and start peeling this afternoon I think. They might need another day or two though. Can they be too ripe for canning?

Last edited:
Neighbor gave me a bunch of peaches off her tree and I did 8 pints of honey spiced peaches. Look yummy, but won't know how they taste for a couple months. I wanted to do pickled spiced peaches but couldn't find a decent recipe. Any ody have one?

My stepson made 18 jars of peach jam. Great on German pancakes!

Grape butter recipe needed

I have bushels of concord grapes again this year. Still have scads of jelly from last year. My stepson made aces trial jars of grape butter last year, but darned if I can find the recipe. It is thick like apple butter, very grapes and far better than plain old grape jelly. Anybody have a recipe. I made grape juice last year, but it was too sweet. Any concord grape recipes for canning would be appreciated immensely!

Back
Top Bottom