"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It all sounds good to me. So, any of that you have plenty of, please, except maybe the corn. Is that sweet corn the bicolour kind? Hate that stuff. Too sweet for me. I like the old fashioned yellow stuff. Greedy bugger, ain't I.
The first corn is always bicoloured, the next round will be the yellow stuff, and the last round before the frost will be the white (silver queen) corn. I am partial to the bicoloured, so I'd be happy to not bring you any of that. More for me! More for me!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #42
Head Chef

Cut and froze corn, pickled the little beets and made and canned corn relish today. Love, love love this time of year!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #43
Senior Cook

busy day today, just finished coocing my zucchini, cinnamon, chocolate marmelade.
Now cooking fig marmelade
and grilling eggplants and peppers for my pindzur (balkan relish)

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The first corn is always bicoloured, the next round will be the yellow stuff, and the last round before the frost will be the white (silver queen) corn. I am partial to the bicoloured, so I'd be happy to not bring you any of that. More for me! More for me!

I am good with the silver queen... so yer welcome to bring that on over this way.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

What do a carving knife and an angel food cake pan have in common? They are handy tools when preparing 7 dozen ears of corn for the freezer. I've never liked freezing it on the cob, so I cut the kernels off after blanching and chilling. Standing the cob up on the angel food pan and using the electric carving knife makes it possible to do 7 dozen ears in just over an hour. The pan catches the kernels, so they don't fly all over the counter. I transfer the kernels to a bowl (easier to scoop them out and pop into a zippie). I "suck" excess air out with a straw. I have two bag sealers, but I don't like them...go figure.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
What do a carving knife and an angel food cake pan have in common? They are handy tools when preparing 7 dozen ears of corn for the freezer. I've never liked freezing it on the cob, so I cut the kernels off after blanching and chilling. Standing the cob up on the angel food pan and using the electric carving knife makes it possible to do 7 dozen ears in just over an hour. The pan catches the kernels, so they don't fly all over the counter. I transfer the kernels to a bowl (easier to scoop them out and pop into a zippie). I "suck" excess air out with a straw. I have two bag sealers, but I don't like them...go figure.
I've heard that really works too!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

It does really work. I actually picked up a 2nd electric carving knife and spare angel food pan so the DH can use the same tools when he's around to do corn. I put the angel food pan on a plastic tray so the counter doesn't get all wet.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I started doing this a couple years ago and it has made putting up corn so much easier! I did have to invest in another angel food cake pan as the "neck" of mine got pretty scratched up and cake started to stick.

Ad a separate note, I didn't blanch our corn this year. We tried a different method using ice with delicious results!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I started doing this a couple years ago and it has made putting up corn so much easier! I did have to invest in another angel food cake pan as the "neck" of mine got pretty scratched up and cake started to stick.

Ad a separate note, I didn't blanch our corn this year. We tried a different method using ice with delicious results!
Care to share the method--there's a lot more corn in the corn patch.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Yesterday I made 4 kilos of peach+banana marmelade
Today I am making my homemade ketchup

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote