What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love a good wine but my hubby and stepson are 20 years sober, so no wine for us. How about a grape salsa? I've got bushels of grapes! H

Planted 4 doz tomatoes and haven't even gotten enough for a BLT. Last year we did 40 pts salsa, 25 qts spaghetti sauce, 100 qts whole tomatoes and a bunch of juice. This year the garden is a dud.

I'd love a good wine but my hubby and stepson are 20 years sober, so no wine for us. How about a grape salsa? I've got bushels of grapes! H

Planted 4 doz tomatoes and haven't even gotten enough for a BLT. Last year we did 40 pts salsa, 25 qts spaghetti sauce, 100 qts whole tomatoes and a bunch of juice. This year the garden is a dud.

We are having the same issues with our tiny little patch of tomatoes. Last year we had loads of fruit but this year the plants are all stem and leaves sn very few tomatoes. I have heard of people who make grape pie but I have never tried it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bushels of concord grapes again this year. Still have scads of jelly from last year. My stepson made aces trial jars of grape butter last year, but darned if I can find the recipe. It is thick like apple butter, very grapes and far better than plain old grape jelly. Anybody have a recipe. I made grape juice last year, but it was too sweet. Any concord grape recipes for canning would be appreciated immensely!

I found a recipe for baked grape butter in Summer in a Jar, by Andrea Chesman. It calls for 4 qts. Concord grapes, 1/4 cup water, 3/4-1 cup honey or sugar, 2 t. cinnamon. You steam the grapes till soft, put through a food mill, and bake in a roasting pan at 200° for 5-8 hours. When butter is thick, sweeten to taste and add cinnamon to taste. Reheat, then jar and process with 1/4 inch headspace for 5 minutes.

I'm thinking it would also work in a slow cooker.

Last edited:
That sounds good. Slow cookers are great for this kind of stuff. I used my big Nesco roaster last year and filled it to the top with applesauce and cooked it down by half for apple butter last summer. ( 4 times!) I've still got 6 doz pints in the basement. No apples on the trees this year. Just grapes, grapes and more grapes!

I've got my big Nesco roaster and another big CP full of apple slices right now, making apple butter. Not sure what we'll do with it all!

Would love to trade for grapes....

If I can get my hands on some reasonably priced apples this year, I'll make another batch of apple pie jam, it went over really well when I made it a few years ago.

I got the apples at an orchard in Maine, a half bushel of "utility" apples for $8. They were really nice apples, hard to believe that they were the less perfect apples. I made a whole bunch of jam, apple crisp, and pie before I used them all up.

Oh no!!!...Ya know, I do have access to bushels of cider apples...:ROFLMAO:

I hope to not look at another apple for awhile.

A friend has a cider press and a small orchard, we spent a very long day making cider a few years ago, not something I'd want to do on a regular basis! Lots of muscle involved.

Friday I did 19 half pints of jelly. Saturday I did 11 pints of garlic dill pickles, 4 quarts of hamburger slices, and some jalapenos. Next week, I'm planning pickled beets, dill relish, and maybe some giardiniera if I have time.

Today I'm bottling 18 gallons of the 2012 wine... 10 gallons from my own grapes, 5 gallons of Riesling from Washington, and 3 gallons of Merlot that I couldn't find anything else to blend with.

I hope to not look at another apple for awhile.

A friend has a cider press and a small orchard, we spent a very long day making cider a few years ago, not something I'd want to do on a regular basis! Lots of muscle involved.

Friend of ours has a big orchard, his cider press is automated with a bottler attached...I'll be smelling apples for months, he pays us for our help with cider vinegar. He grows Macintosh.

Did I mention putting caramel in some batches of the apple butter? I make my butter very spicey, so it took lots of caramel, but it tastes soooo good and cans well.

My brain is getting in the mood for fall foods, the temperature outside still reads summer! I need fall to get here, I'm ready for it.

Maybe I'll turn the a/c as cold as it will go, sit with a blanket on my lap and eat apple pie...

Figs are in. Freezing them now in order to do perserves later in the winter. Pears are about ready. Pear perserves and Pear relish are in order.

For those with apples. Have you ever dried any? Really love fried dried apple pies. Man my mother could make the best.

Back
Top Bottom