What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished the Italian green beans. Glenn picked the last of them yesterday afternoon. Ended up with 11 more quarts canned. Good haul for three rows of beans...20 quarts and 17 pints, plus plenty to eat along the way.

Put the cucumber plants away yesterday. The cucumbers were part of our container garden and produced beautifully. Can't wait to fine tune the container garden next year. I'm already formulating my plans.

I have some 'mater sauce in the canner right now. Only 4 pints, but we are small time and we like it that way.

We did get a new canner so we didn't have to keep "figuring it out" with this pot and that rack and "oh boy, that's too tight" and all that mess.

We got that Granite Ware 21.5q thingy with rack.

I have some 'mater sauce in the canner right now. Only 4 pints, but we are small time and we like it that way.

We did get a new canner so we didn't have to keep "figuring it out" with this pot and that rack and "oh boy, that's too tight" and all that mess.

We got that Granite Ware 21.5q thingy with rack.

I have one probably just like yours, Frank. Have had it for over 40 years and love it. Can't even begin to imagine how many jars I've canned in it. Same for my pressure canner, which is the same age.

I'm thankful for my little electric induction "eye" that I use for water bath canning and for keeping my jars sterilized when I'm pressure canning. I also use my electric hot water pot to keep boiling water at the ready when I'm canning. Both the induction unit and the water pot save me time and steps and help to keep the kitchen from getting stifling hot during canning season. Yeah!

I have one probably just like yours, Frank. Have had it for over 40 years and love it. Can't even begin to imagine how many jars I've canned in it. Same for my pressure canner, which is the same age.

I'm thankful for my little electric induction "eye" that I use for water bath canning and for keeping my jars sterilized when I'm pressure canning. I also use my electric hot water pot to keep boiling water at the ready when I'm canning. Both the induction unit and the water pot save me time and steps and help to keep the kitchen from getting stifling hot during canning season. Yeah!

I have a little induction burner, never thought to use it with my granite ware canner, great idea, Katie!

I'm with you, Frank, I grow enough for small batches. Have you used your steam canner? I used mine for the pickled green beans.

I used to make homemade pickles with my grandmother, but I've long forgotten the recipe. Can anyone help me out? I prefer sour pickles.
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I made some jalapeno jelly & have pickles fomenting in it's second week and will process them next week. Also canned some homemade BBQ sauce.

Peach chipotle jam tonight and there's some currant vinegar stewing on the counter(red currant w/white wine vinegar and black current w/ white balsamic).

It's been a good fruit year but vegies are late in my garden...beans are just blooming and we've had a few ittybitty zucchinis and two cherry tomatoes. I judged at a county fair today. They have a longer/earlier growing season than my county and hardly any vegetable products were entered that weren't done last fall.

Peach chipotle jam tonight and there's some currant vinegar stewing on the counter(red currant w/white wine vinegar and black current w/ white balsamic).

It's been a good fruit year but vegies are late in my garden...beans are just blooming and we've had a few ittybitty zucchinis and two cherry tomatoes. I judged at a county fair today. They have a longer/earlier growing season than my county and hardly any vegetable products were entered that weren't done last fall.

Wow, Bookbrat. You will have to share your peach jam recipe! Your vegetables are a lot later than mine. My beans and cukes are about done, and I've been roasting and freezing my cherry tomatoes like crazy, still have heaps on the counter and more coming on.

Last edited:
Hey Dawgluver
Did you know that you can make Peach Butter
With the peach peelings it is so yummy. If anyone
wants the directions let me know.

Josie

I didn't know that, sounds wonderful! Yes, please post the recipe, Josie!

DH found Bing cherries for $.99/lb, so I'm pitting them and plan to make cherry jam. The cherries are large, so my pitting machine manages to miss the pits about every third cherry. I've got nice purple fingernails from squeezing them to make sure they're pitted. Looks like I hit all my nails with a hammer. Hope the stains come out.

Last edited:
DH found Bing cherries for $.99/lb, so I'm pitting them and plan to make cherry jam. The cherries are large, so my pitting machine manages to miss the pits about every third cherry. I've got nice purple fingernails from squeezing them to make sure they're pitted. Looks like I hit all my nails with a hammer. Hope the stains come out.

You missed the You Tube on how to make your cherry pitter? Anyone remember which thread it was shown? All you need is a paper clip. :angel:

You missed the You Tube on how to make your cherry pitter? Anyone remember which thread it was shown? All you need is a paper clip. :angel:

Usually the machine works just fine, but these were really big cherries! I put DH to work on it, now we have matching purple nails. Which is fine, I like purple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom