What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear you, Dave. Our tomato plants (some 300) have produced 7 ripe tomatoes. We have enough green tomatoes on the vines to float a boat and only about 5-6 weeks before frost. A few peppers, no eggplant, and the cukes are also not producing well. On the other hand, the winter squash and pumpkins look great. For the size of gardens we have, what we've been able to harvest is very disappointing and very behind this year. We did not get the summer heat we usually get and we've have more cloudy/rainy days than sunny. The tomatoes are no closer to being ripe today than they were 2 weeks ago.

I do remember all the bounty you had last year. You were almost overwhelmed with it all. This year has not been kind to our farmers and those who garden as a hobby. :angel:

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1408384321.111450.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1408384360.630139.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1408384394.824460.jpg

63 Qts green beans, 20 qt squash, 27 qt tomatoes. Still have tomatoes so that number will go up

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I hear you, Dave. Our tomato plants (some 300) have produced 7 ripe tomatoes. We have enough green tomatoes on the vines to float a boat and only about 5-6 weeks before frost. A few peppers, no eggplant, and the cukes are also not producing well. On the other hand, the winter squash and pumpkins look great. For the size of gardens we have, what we've been able to harvest is very disappointing and very behind this year. We did not get the summer heat we usually get and we've have more cloudy/rainy days than sunny. The tomatoes are no closer to being ripe today than they were 2 weeks ago.
Same thing here in the valley. We put a garden in at my mother's place in Renfrew and her Heirlooms are beautiful........and green...:mad:

Thanks Frank,

I have a 17 quart pressure canner, in which I can get 7 quarts in and another one I can get 4 quart jars in. We prefer canning over freezing, seems to taste better and speeds up the availability. I am also experimenting with canning homemade vegetable soup. We love these in the winter.

I started developing a cherry-chipotle BBQ sauce Saturday. I made a small batch and canned it. Its nice and spicy, sweet and tangy.:yum: Absolutely no tomato products either!;)

I started developing a cherry-chipotle BBQ sauce Saturday. I made a small batch and canned it. Its nice and spicy, sweet and tangy.:yum: Absolutely no tomato products either!;)

You have given me an idea, Craig. I mistakenly left DH in charge of stirring the cherries for jam, he thought they were burning, so took them off the heat and kept stirring.They were not burning, he was using a silicone spatula, and it would drag on the pan bottom. I canned them anyway, and of course they didn't set. Too runny for jam, but BBQ sauce sounds like a great idea!

Recipe please?

Last edited:
Whew! I'm spent for today. However, it was a very productive day.

I ended up with another quart of roasted tomato sauce, which has been refrigerated in anticipation of adding to it so I can make better use of my efforts with the canner later this week.

Then, while the tomatoes were roasting, I prepared and put up 8 packages of Italian green beans for the freezer, along with 6 nice containers of corn cut off the cob.

I'm now caught up with what the garden(s) have been producing, that is...until later in the week when Glenn will bring in the last of the Italian green beans and corn from the second planting.

In addition to my veggie efforts, I also purged some linens and other household items to donate to the local thrift store.

Put a fork in me, I'm done.:LOL:

You have given me an idea, Craig. I mistakenly left DH in charge of stirring the cherries for jam, he thought they were burning, so took them off the heat and kept stirring.They were not burning, he was using a silicone spatula, and it would drag on the pan bottom. I canned them anyway, and of course they didn't set. Too runny for jam, but BBQ sauce sounds like a great idea!

Recipe please?

Sorry, I'm developing this for possible future sales.:)

I'm making cherry tomato salsa. The cherry tomato gods have smiled upon me once again.

Preserving strawberries past 2 days of use, I sliced 2 pounds and coated in 1/4 cup honey. Will be ready to apply to yogurt in the morning.

Decided to make Dulce de leche. I found a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cupboard that had an expiration date of this time last year, so I took off the label and it's simmering on low in water in the CP. I've done this before, and it makes some wonderful caramel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom