What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice haul, frank. you know, i've never canned sauce per se, just tomatoes with the idea that you make the sauce as needed. hmm, i like to use jarred sauce (which is more complete, i guess) when necessity dictates, so why not jar my own? do you add much to your tonato sauce?
i have to rethink my strategies for september, i guess.

I don't add anything except some citric acid.

I also tend to can the sauce a little on the thin side so it can be reduced while cooking whatever I am cooking.

I will say I think I am done with sauce for the year. We have 24 pints in the basement and that should last us. Next haul will be gazpacho again I think.

BT, I do my sauce in the roaster oven.I roast 1/2 to 2/3 of the tomatoes first, and then run all the tomatoes through my tomato strainer to remove the skins and seeds. I run the "puree" through the strainer 2-3 times.

I salt, pepper, and add garlic cloves and fresh oregano when I'm roasting the tomatoes. I tend not to add more seasoning until I use the sauce. I freeze the sauce instead of canning it. I don't have enough jar space to can a lot of tomatoes. I use Roma-type tomatoes. I freeze the sauce flat in zippy bags on a cookie sheet and then move them to the spot in the freezer. To make paste, I just cook it longer in the roaster oven (12-16 hours at 250 overnight) and then freeze the paste in ice cube trays, pop the frozen chunks of tomato paste in a zippy.

I add

Last edited:
Unfortunately, with all the wet weather, our tomatoes got "late blight." This means I have tons of green tomatoes that have some blight. Have to burn the plants, the cut off pieces, etc., etc. So, what to do with green tomatoes? I love, love, love salsa. I roasted four pans (about 8 c) of green tomatoes, tossed with EVOO, S&P, roasted cumin, some red pepper flakes, ground coriander, garlic cloves and the few red and yellow tomatoes I had picked here (not at the farm). I also chopped up a bunch of tomatoes (roughly) in the FP (green, the remaining red and yellow I had), 4 med. sized onions, 5-6 cloves of garlic, 5 jalapeno peppers, a couple of the hot "Texas" peppers, a bit more sea salt, 1/2 of a very large sweet green pepper, juice of 2 limes. I will add fresh coriander later. I have to say, despite the fact it is not made from ripe tomatoes, this salsa is tasting mighty fine. Oh, I added a couple of drops of natural smoke and chilpolte powder, a little bit of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. It is simmering on the stove, imagine it will simmer for about 2 hours, then I will bag it and throw it in the freezer. Sorry, folks, I just don't cook using recipes. But this is tasting very "salsa-like." Who knew green tomatoes could be made into salsa?

Last edited:
If tomatillos can be made into salsa, why not green tomatoes? Sounds great :)
Tomatillos are not quite ready--got lots of those and do a tomatillo-corn salsa. Just had to do something with these green tomatoes. The effect of the blight on the 300+ plants makes me want to weep.We lost about 70% of the plants. So heart breaking. But, this salsa is tasting mighty fine. See if the DH likes it.

Been a busy day. I made a dent in the Italian green beans as far as my jars would go. I ended up with 14 quarts and enough cleaned beans for at least another 7 quarts. As long as I was chained to the kitchen I roasted some more tomatoes for sauce and now have enough roasted sauce to make up a bunch of my "special" recipe and will can that on Wednesday. I'm totally out of any kind of canning jar so will have to get some when I do my marketing tomorrow. It's just as well since I've had enough of canning for one day and a day's break will be welcome. Because...

...the corn will be ready on Thursday. Okey, dokey!!!

Has anyone ever canned green tomatoes for frying?

After reading this blog (and using Google to find others,) I might try canning some green tomatoes at the end of the season for frying. I'm addicted to fried green tomatoes!

~Kathleen
I haven't, but a friend of mine canned sliced, green tomatoes. She didn't fry them. She just put them on sandwiches and said they were great that way.

I haven't, but a friend of mine canned sliced, green tomatoes. She didn't fry them. She just put them on sandwiches and said they were great that way.

Do you know how she canned them?

Tonight, I started round two of 14-day pickles and canned 7 pints of garlic-mustard dill pickles! A co-worker brought in excess cucumbers to me!

Has anyone ever canned green tomatoes for frying?

After reading this blog (and using Google to find others,) I might try canning some green tomatoes at the end of the season for frying. I'm addicted to fried green tomatoes!

~Kathleen

Kathleen, I found this and it seems like it would work. Although, because of the heat during processing, I still have to think the tomatoes might be a bit soft for frying. However, having said this, I think I'm going to give it a short shot with some of the waning green tomatoes we have left.

What to do w/ Tomato Skins and Seeds: Tomato Powder!

Thanks for the green tomato recipes!

Okay, here is my new project: Tomato Powder!

I wanted to use the skins, seeds, and pulp leftover in the food mill when making tomato sauce! Lucille (the KA) leaves tomatoes looking like this after most of the pulp is extracted.

30585-albums1002-picture6031.jpg

The leftover tomato goop (a professional term, of course) went into the dehydrator at 125 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours and came out crunchy-crisp.

30585-albums1002-picture6029.jpg

Then processed in the small food processor until it was a powder. I am thinking I might sprinkle some with some powdered cheese on popcorn. SO good!

30585-albums1002-picture6030.jpg

Making sauce left a lot of waste, so I'm thrilled to find a way to use the rest of the tomato!

For ideas to use tomato powder, I found this LINK!

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Thanks for the green tomato recipes!

Okay, here is my new project: Tomato Powder!

I wanted to use the skins, seeds, and pulp leftover in the food mill when making tomato sauce! Lucille (the KA) leaves tomatoes looking like this after most of the pulp is extracted.

30585-albums1002-picture6031.jpg

The leftover tomato goop (a professional term, of course) went into the dehydrator at 125 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours and came out crunchy-crisp.

30585-albums1002-picture6029.jpg

Then processed in the small food processor until it was a powder. I am thinking I might sprinkle some with some powdered cheese on popcorn. SO good!

30585-albums1002-picture6030.jpg

Making sauce left a lot of waste, so I'm thrilled to find a way to use the rest of the tomato!

~Kathleen

Great idea, Kathleen. I recently saw a program where a professional chef added powdered mushrooms to a mushroom dish. Hmmmm?!

You might want to think about "enhancing" tomato soup with some of your tomato powder. Bet it would be stellar.

The booklet that came with my dehydrator has a recipe for tomato sauce that one then dehydrates (on the "fruit leather" trays). If I get red tomatoes, I'm going to try it. The powder can be made into tomato paste. I can check the ratio of water to powder for you.

I must say, the KA generates a lot more waste than my tomato strainer/press. I end up with just seeds and skins. I give the seeds and skins to the chickens. They love it. But then, they love tomatoes.

I dehydrate mushrooms all the the time. Besides making mushroom powder, I have made mushroom sea salt. It is very tasty on beef.

My garden tomatoes were at the point that they had to be picked. There were just too many of them, I had no choice but to pickle them. I need to start planting a late variety. I do not like to pickle this early in the season. To hot outside, too hot inside. They ferment too fast, I do not like that, the result is much better if the tomatoes ferment slowly. Any how, I have a 5 gallon pail full to the rim of tomatoes. That and the pickles and occasional sauerkraut thru out the winter should less me till next summer.

sauce.jpg

I can't seem to grow anything here in the middle of the desert...
so I found canned San Marzano Tomatoes, from Italy, certified, whatever they call it, the goof stuff anyways ...
and I 'put up' some of my homemade Marinara, which all of our friends clamor for.
I was freezing 2 cup containers of this liquid gold, but once reheated, the consistency is off, too watery.
Now I can give it away whenever I like,
I keep pint sized jars in the cupboard for a meal any time,
I also use these cuties in trade for services.
My GF does my hair for a jar of Marinara
:chef:

Yesterday I broiled and crushed 10 pounds of tomatoes I bought at the farmers market Saturday. Got four 2-cup baggies of crushed tomatoes in the freezer.

Charlie, you can freeze your tomatoes rather than pickle them, if you have the freezer space.

Busy weekend in the kitchen. Froze 4 quarts of beef stock, rendered 500 ml of beef fat, made 5 liters of b&b pickles, 7 pints of salsa, and froze about 40 cobs of corn...got another 50-60 to do today, and oh froze 5 liters of broccoli. Where did the weekend go?

Back
Top Bottom