What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked few last bell peppers, still green. Not sure what to do with them. I do not like green peppers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Picked few last bell peppers, still green. Not sure what to do with them. I do not like green peppers.

Try putting them in a sunny window. If they fail to turn red, give them to a grateful neighbor. :angel:

Ok. I'll ask. Why do you grow them if you don't like them? :ermm:

Actually, I guess I've done the same thing. I don't like zucchini that much, either. But I've planted them... and regretted it later when I had far more than I could eat or give away.

I don't like them raw or by themselves, but I do like them cooked with other ingredients. I use onions, garlic and a variety of colored peppers as a base for all kinds of dishes - chicken or steak fajitas, sloppy Joes, spaghetti sauce, Thai chicken or shrimp curry, stuffed with a beef mixture and topped with tomato sauce, and tortellini Alfredo are some examples.

Thank G-d fr my mom. She came to help today. I had a whole bunch of apples from my tree. She peeled them for me, I end up with 8 quart pot full of peeled, sliced apples. I made apple sauce from it. I never really made that much apple sauce before.when kids were babies I used to make just enough for a little snack. Here I have A half a gallon jar and another one that is like 3/4 of a liter. Not even sure what to do with that.

Ok. I'll ask. Why do you grow them if you don't like them? :ermm:

Actually, I guess I've done the same thing. I don't like zucchini that much, either. But I've planted them... and regretted it later when I had far more than I could eat or give away.

I don't grow green peppers, they just did not have chance to get red. Kind of hilly outside. They are actually red peppers. And to be honest with you last year they all got red much earlier. Not sure what happened this year. They kept coming and coming, I mean the new peppers.

Made about a gallon of apple sauce yesterday. Now, who's going to eat all of it? Also made Citron jelly. Smells absolutely amazing. Tastes great too.

As every farmer knows, you are not in charge of what grows in your garden. Mother Nature is. And she does have a sense of humor. :angel:

Thought it might be a good time to bump up this thread again. I've been canning a lot of stuff over the last couple months, and was curious what everyone else has been preserving this year.

Yesterday I scored big at the farmers market. One vendor, a young lady, had sweet red peppers for $2 a tray - way too expensive. I looked behind the table and noticed she also had huge baskets of the same peppers. I asked, "How much for a basket?" Well, she didn't know, so she asked an older woman sitting on the back of the truck. Her mother, I was assuming. The older woman replied in a language that wasn't English. The young girl turns to me and says, "You can have the whole basket for $10." :ohmy:

So I spent the remainder of the morning charring and smoking peppers on the grill to make fire roasted salsa - 12 pints altogether. I have to say it's probably the best batch I've ever made. The peppers had a nice sweetness to begin with, that was brought out even more by roasting them.

By the way, I don't use many tomatoes in my canned salsa. Just three Roma tomatoes for the entire gallon and a half. I really like the taste of roasted peppers and find that tomatoes sort of "take over" the flavor if you overdo them.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of photos.

img_1437247_0_230ab1fb3f073509419dba145386791b.jpg

img_1437247_1_e4bf3747b51ca741d8a2dc1f656d1791.jpg

Looks good Steve. I was looking at the date and I couldn't figure out what month "Kro" was. D'oh! It says "Kroll", not Kro 11 2015. :LOL:

008.JPG

I made Stewed Rhubarb for my Mother just before we left on our trip.
She's going to love this.
This is all I got out of about a pound of product (is that a vegetable?), it was expensive, and such a short season. Where my Mom lives now, just about every house has a big clump of Rhubarb out front, just wish I could get my hands on that ;)

We canned 6 quarts of applesauce last week. I'll be making a roaster of apple butter overnight tonight and then can it tomorrow. Next on the list, pearsauce or pear butter as the pears are now ripening.

I saw a recipe for 'caramel apple butter', but I didn't like the idea of butter or cream (from the caramels) in the apple butter for canning, so I'll caramelize the sugar before I add it to the apple butter for the caramel apple flavor. Yum Yum

The supermarket had 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters on sale for 29 cents a pound. I bought 4 bags, separated the legs and thighs from the piece of backbone, packed the meaty parts into small bags and made stock from the backbones.

I have 6 quarts of very rich chicken stock on my counter! Makes the best soup.

Next time they come on sale, I am going to try canning the chicken itself.

It's not that much work. Chop some veggies roughly, throw in a few herbs and some black peppercorns, a couple gallons of water, and let it simmer. The chopping doesn't take long. I think it's well worth it. I have several quarts in the freezer.

Here are some peaches, green chiles and peach goo. I am dehydrating plums today. We have had the opportunity to get plums, peaches and apples from a compound where DH is care taking:).

Attachments

• DSCN3963.jpg
    DSCN3963.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 169
It's not that much work. Chop some veggies roughly, throw in a few herbs and some black peppercorns, a couple gallons of water, and let it simmer. The chopping doesn't take long. I think it's well worth it. I have several quarts in the freezer.
My brains didn't come online until sometime in the evening yesterday. I was thinking pot after pot of stock. But, my stock pot holds 18 litres, so I guess it can be done in one go.

I was also thinking of the work of separating all those backs from the legs and all the straining/filtering at the end. Do you reduce the stock or leave it at a sort of chicken soup concentration?

My brains didn't come online until sometime in the evening yesterday. I was thinking pot after pot of stock. But, my stock pot holds 18 litres, so I guess it can be done in one go.

I was also thinking of the work of separating all those backs from the legs and all the straining/filtering at the end. Do you reduce the stock or leave it at a sort of chicken soup concentration?

Ten pounds of chicken isn't really that much. It might take five minutes at most to cut it up. I use tongs and a spider to remove the big pieces before straining the liquid into another pot. Then I use a measuring cup to fill quart containers. I leave it at chicken-soup concentration.

Ten pounds of chicken isn't really that much. It might take five minutes at most to cut it up. I use tongs and a spider to remove the big pieces before straining the liquid into another pot. Then I use a measuring cup to fill quart containers. I leave it at chicken-soup concentration.
Yeah, I guess I was just not visualizing 10 lbs very well.

I use a spider for that too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom