What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I am embarking on the summer/fall season of canning and preserving, I thought I'd start a new thread. I have "put up" 6 l of strawberry jam today. The season is almost over, so I'm off to the berry farm tomorrow to pick anouther 4-6 4-l baskets of strawberries before the season ends. What are you canning or preserving today?

There's a stack of zucchini on the kitchen counter that needs pretty immediate attention, so I suppose that's what I'll take care of today. Not going to can it. Just slice it, put it on waxed paper-lined trays and freeze until firm, then bag.

Glenn's son, Kenneth, has brought "bounty" from his garden the last 4 nights and we're nearly covered up in yellow squash, zucchini, romaine, cabbage and green tomatoes. One day he brought 4 big grocery bags full and last night he appeared with a huge cardboard box that was filled to the top.

We've eaten all of the above until we're, um, "clean clear through," if you get what I mean and the rest will have to hit the freezer while we recover.:ROFLMAO:

Although, the fried green tomatoes the last few times turned out just toooooo good, I will make an exception with those and fix them again tonight.

I have a small backyard garden that we've packed lots of veggies into :) Yesterday, I blanched and froze two pounds of carrots and did the same to a quart of green beans. Today, I picked a couple more zucchini, several onions, and the last of the green beans. I think I'll make zucchini-chocolate chip bread and add the green beans to the stir-fry I'm making for dinner tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I'm making Lemon-Rosemary Pickled Green Beans and freezing a few pounds of peas. (Note: I prefer to use green bush beans, but wax beans work as well. Unless you like "pink" vinegar, the purple bush beans are not recommended. I also don't like using Pole Beans for this).

Last edited:
when I have an abundance of zucchini from my garden I make a marmelade, just a thought it is really tasty.

And also a nice present for my friends.

lettuce and cucumbers you can make a soup ...and then freeze it. That is what I did today.

I canned some pickled jalapenos a few days ago. I did six 4oz jars. We have to little bushes and I stripped em of anything of size. There were some adorable little peppers 1/4inch long.

Glenn's son gave us a 5-gallon bucket filled to overflowing with tomatoes a couple of days ago, so I'm in the process of making a lot of my oven-roasted tomato sauce. They aren't Roma tomatoes, so I am having to make some minor adjustment because these tomatoes are so watery, but I'll make it work. Free tomatoes are always a good thing. Thought I'd better get this done before I have my hand in a cast.

I have 25 lb of bush beans to freeze today.I have cleaned and cut all the beans. Put several large pots of water in the freezer to chill, plus 3 bags of ice. Set everything up. My usual method is to blanch the beans in a strainer (covered with water, so not steamed), dump them in one sink that has ice and cold water from the freezer (in another strainer/collander), after 1 minute, transfer to the 2nd sink (ice and cold water) and shock them for another 3-4 minutes, spin in the salad spinner, blot in a dish towel, bag. Well, today I added yet another step--I dumped the beans in a dehydrater tray and put the tray in the dehydrator for 5 minutes at 130F. Oh--they are dr--not dried out, but dry, if you know what I mean. And, for those who don't have a vacuum sealer, for 30 years I used ziplock bags and a straw to suck out excess air. I would roll up the bag, seal it except for the corner, and draw as much air out as I could with a straw. It worked for me. But, I must say, why I never thought to add the step of drying the beans in the dehydrator is beyond me. (Must say, I am feeling somewhat proud of myself for coming up with this step). Has anyone else done this?

Last edited:
Picked the best Two Handfuls of baby green beans from the garden this morning. That is just about right. Blanched and put in a freezer bag. Will add more after freezing on a jelly roll pan later next picks. I love Green Beans. And baby size is even better. Eating them now is fun.

Thinking about how they are eqywally good come December is funner.

I need your love so bad. A quote from a song which the PR people at jolly green giant forget to market. That's what it is. No mosquitos. I sang the blues. On a sunny morning.

Last edited:
I spent Saturday morning peeling garlic and coring and cutting tomatoes. I made 5 pints of pickled garlic, each with a sprig of oregano and a dried chili arbol. The tomatoes were roasted, along with celery, onions, and more garlic for tomato sauce--2 gallons worth. Mostly canned in pint jars, with about a quart frozen.

Wore me out, but I love doing it.

Souvlaki said:
lettuce and cucumbers you can make a soup ...and then freeze it. That is what I did today.

Souvlaki - I have a recipe for lettuce soup but never thought of freezing. Is it a warm soup you make with cucumber? Care to share a recipe?

Our growing season in the UK has been so late because it's been soooo wet. Finally getting sunshine for about a week now which hopefully kick start the tomato and chile ripening. Then it's on to some Jams, salsas, tapenades, and cooking sauces (Mexican, Italian mostly) for my small local food biz. And hopefully a few extras for the fam.

I picked our first cuke today, mandolined it along with a vidalia onion, and made fridge pickles. I decided to use agave syrup instead of sugar.

Back
Top Bottom