"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I only freeze raw vegetables, meat, fish, some time leftovers and fruit juices.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Head Chef

pork BBQ.. Make up a big batch, it freezes really well.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I make several kinds of soups and freeze them in individual portion amounts. I make pasta sauces (with or without meats) and freeze them. Pizza sauce, stews, chili, homemade chicken stock.
ditto. except i don't make pizza sauce.

the two things that i freeze most are individual portions of meatballs and sausages in sauce, and individual pea soups.

the only caveat that i can offer is to not over fill the containers. a lot of stuff expands when frozen, so you don't want the lid to pop off and the food get freezer burned.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I freeze just about everything. I always cook more than I need, and freeze in tubs. The last couple of things were some tomatoes that I "roasted" in the oven, sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. I freeze them in bags, quite flat, so that when I want to use them I can give them a wack and break off the amount I need. Last night, I used some uncooked dough (made a couple of months ago) and made pizzas with cheese and passatta which had also been frozen.
One of my favourite things is to buy a large piece of meat, cook it, and let it cool, slice it portion it out and freeze it in gravy/sauce so that I can just defrost the correct amount when I need it. The meat goes further this way, and I don't waste any.
I freeze portions of mashed potatoes, mash them with cauliflower or root veg.
Today I had chance to buy some eggs cheap, far too many for using now. I have whisked them up 4 at a time, and frozen them. They will be useful for baking later.
If I have any wine left, I freeze it as ice cubes, again, useful if you don't want to open a bottle just for a drop to add to cooking sauces.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Soups, stock, I divide big packages of meats on sale and freeze 2-4 portions. Last summer we had a bumper crop of basil and tomatillos, so I froze pesto and salsa verde. I freeze leftover rice for making fried rice later; we usually only use 1/3 of a baguette, so I freeze the other 2/3, cut in half so I can thaw 1/3 at a time.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I freeze lots of foods. All my stocks, vegetables, baked goods. Extra meals. For example, tonight I made 4 huge pasties for dinner. Buck and will only be able to eat one each, so the other two went into the freezer. It'll be nice to have them on a busy day or when I really don't want to cook.

It's not unusual for me to make a full recipe for something and freeze half. About every 3 month we "eat down" the freezer, which is wonderful because it's a mini vacation from cooking for me and frees up some of our grocery budget money for some things we wouldn't normally purchase.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Hi Canadian Meg,
What an interesting question!

I freeze bargains gained by shopping in the last hour before my local supermarket closes. so, yesterday I managed to buy 6 x 250gm plus packets of mature cheddar/extra mature cheddar cheese and 1 x 300gm Stilton cheese for £0.09 per packet - yes I was there at the right time, scooped them up and threw them into the freezer as soon as I got home! I also have a couple of kippers, 1 large octopus, tuna steaks, chicken livers for paté, pork chops, lamb chops, sausages bought and repacked in individual amounts and same with bacon and chicken all awaiting use, in the freezer.

I also have packets of puff pastry ready for use at some point.

In so far as cooked items are concerned, I have plain mince, ragout bolognaise, mince curry and chilli mince, a few soups, tomato sauce, béchamel sauce and some stocks in the freezer.

Finally, I have my home-made ice creams and sorbets in the freezer - vanilla, bay leaf, nutmeg, rhubarb, lime sorbet, blackberry sorbet and elderberry sorbet.

No doubt, I`ve missed something out, but can`t think what! I think I use the deep freeze for 2 main reasons: first to take advantage of bargains - I only shop in the last hour of my local supermarket`s opening hours and second to take advantage of bargains and either freeze or cook and freeze.

Regards,
Archiduc