"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question What Do You Make and Freeze

I had a pack of hamburger enough for two batches of meatballs so I made two and froze one. I've never really frozen much, but I think it would make my life easier to take advantage of that.

So aside from the obvious, like lasagna and chili, what do you like to make and freeze?
Any special instructions or things you watch out for when freezing prepared food?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I make several kinds of soups and freeze them in individual portion amounts. I make pasta sauces (with or without meats) and freeze them. Pizza sauce, stews, chili, homemade chicken stock.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I freeze soups and stews. I also freeze hamburger in one pound portions. I also freeze whole beef roasts. A lot of my home made bread is also frozen.
I wrap the cooled breads in plastic wrap and then foil. After the soups, stews, hamburgers and roasts are frozen, I then vacuum seal them. And don't forget to mark what the packages contain and the date you frozen them.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

The only time I freeze anything is after I bought it. It gets taken out prior to use to thaw and then gets used up. I do buy ground beef in bulk but divide it by the pound into freezer bags so I only take out the exact amount I need for the meal.
The one except I can remember in the last 6 months is some cranberry sauce we made for a turkey breast. DW used the entire bag of cranberries and so made way too much sauce for us to use. That got frozen until I got another turkey breast.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I freeze anything I can. And if I'm not sure about freezing something, I'll ask here.
A good storage container and/or vaccuum appliance and your all set to make life easier.... if you remember to take it out and let it thaw
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i mostly freeze leftover dishes. i live alone so do it is portion sizes. that way i don't have to eat the same thing for four day. soup and chili are the main ones but anything is fair game

babe
Old 02-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Master Chef

I usually freeze meat and leftovers .
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

I freeze anything & everything I can, since I'm not a fan of traditional "canning".

Meatloaf, chili, pasta sauce, fresh tomatoes, fresh sweet peppers, fresh hot peppers, commercial chicken stock, homemade chicken stock, raw & cooked turkey &/or chicken burgers, meatballs.

Frankly, there are very few things that can't be successfully frozen if treated properly.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Master Chef

stock and chimichurri's.. is that spelled right?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Bolognaise (meat) sauce, lasagna, canneloni, soups, savoury mince, seafood packets (made with filo), roast ham, fish cakes, leftover pasta dishes, cooked ham bones - all in various sized portions (single or duo serves).