What is food quality plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
what is "food quality plastic" for like jars and such?

I'm looking for a "pickle jar" to make fermented Kraut and pickles..

is it stamped like PETA or such? recycle number 6?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Food quality means that the product will not leech chemicals into the food that comes in contact with it. However all bets are off when the plastic is heated or there is a possible chemical reaction and the plastic has to be rated higher, such as "microwave safe".

I would not use a plastic container for fermenting purpose. Use glass or a crock only.

what is "food quality plastic" for like jars and such?

I'm looking for a "pickle jar" to make fermented Kraut and pickles..

is it stamped like PETA or such? recycle number 6?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

don't know exactly what food grade plastic is, but it is suitable and even recommended for making kraut and pickles

Making Fermented Dill Pickles and Sauerkraut, HYG-5342-97

I will be making sauerkraut this fall and will be using a 3 gallon food grade plastic bucket. It was sold as a milk bucket and is a very hard, non pourous plastic. It has no markings on the bottom as to recycle or other, so can't help you with the suggested markings.

"Food quality plastic" has quite another meaning for me. In Little Tokyo of Los Angeles there is a Shakey's Pizza Parlor, and in the best tradition of Japanese restaurants here in the US, they have menu items on display in the front window, faithfully rendered in...plastic! The last time I was there, they had several pizzas on display that had been in the window too long, and were dusty, as well as warped and discolored from the direct sunlight. I have never eaten there.

Food quality plastic usually means a container that has been certified by NSF International or Underwriters Laboratory. You will see a NSF or UL symbol stamped on the bottom. Restaurants have to use this grade of plastic in their storage containers (no Tupperware allowed!) It is just a thicker better grade of plastic that you can purchase at restaurant supply houses.

Liz

Back
Top Bottom