What to do with a dozen huge horseradish plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
We have about a dozen very long running large horseradish plants in our backyard, and I just dont know what all to do with it. Each year it pops up and each year we just let it go without doing anything with it.
This summer it will be back, and I am seeking ideas on uses for it. I had plans to make it into horseradish sauce and maybe sell it, but after reviewing the insurance necessary for a farmers market its not feasible.
So, aside from making some horseradish sauce, what else can I use it for? Or am I just doomed to let most of it go to waste each year?
For that matter, just how much horseradish sauce would it end up making?

a neat thing we like to do is wrap Fish in the leaves and steam it, the leaves also have plenty of taste and aroma, you can put other things in there too other than fish.

Great idea, we eat lots of fish (per my Dr.s recommendation along with fish oil) so that should help thin it out some.
There is even a recipe Rachel Ray did on one of her shows where she wrapped them in parchment paper. I bet I could duplicate it but use the leaves instead of the parchment paper.
Thanks for your input!

Bubba! Holy hannah! Nice to see you here...been a while.

and Hey, I'll take some horseradish too.

I just might do that, sure beats letting it go to waste year after year.

I once sent some banana bread and pumpkin bread to Seatle at the request of a friend I met on AOL, so why not some horseradish! LOL.

mavric272 I would love to buy a root or two or three from you as I dearly love the stuff
I hate to buy dried up roots from the market as thats is all we git around here. If interested PM me and we will make arrangements for next years crop

Maverick2272 said:
We have about a dozen very long running large horseradish plants in our backyard, and I just dont know what all to do with it. ..... I had plans to make it into horseradish sauce and maybe sell it, but after reviewing the insurance necessary for a farmers market its not feasible.
So, aside from making some horseradish sauce, what else can I use it for? ,,,

Dig it up, cut it into 4, 6 and/or 12 inch lengths, wrap in plastic wrap and sell at the farmer's market as "fresh" horseradish ... sold that way there should be no more insurance liability requirement than any other "non-processed" garden offerings sold at the market.

OK, so after talking to the wife, here is the plan:
We are going to dig up enough roots to send about 1lb (or around 3 roots) to those that said they wanted some. She says maybe sometime around March?
We are going to dig up about the same for ourselves for our use, and are going to see about selling some at the farmers market. My wife participates there by selling hard to find native plants, so we could pot some up and/or take Michaels suggestion.
We beleive this will thin the area down enough to be managable, and it wont look so overcrowded anymore. It is contained in its area, but definetly overcrowded. I figure if I get it down and balanced out enough I should have a steady supply each year, plus the leaves to use for the fish.
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Back
Top Bottom