What types of soups freeze well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a hot sour soup but in this case it had egg drops in it like an egg drop soup (it was also slightly thickened with corn starch). When I thawed it, it separated (gross looking) for a while before it was good and hot. The egg drops broke up while I was thawing it. It was okay except for the tofu which was now tough. So I'd say don't freeze tofu or anything thickened with cornstarch. Also, be gentle with egg drops. ~Bliss

As you have been pointed out, soups with cream, or garlic , are not good to freeze.

Hi All,

Soups and freezing - whoever thought that such a simple staple would cause so many problems.

Vegetable Puree soups - freeze, thaw, reheat and blend again using a stick blender.

Cream soups - make to the point of adding the cream. Now You MUST STOP there - cool, pack and freeze. Thaw, reheat and blend using a stick blender. Add the cream but do not allow to boil.

Egg and cream liason soups - make to the point of adding the liason. Cool, pack and freeze. Thaw and reheat to simmering point. Blend again wih a stick blender. Add a little of the hot soup to the liason mixture of egg yolks and cream. Take the soup off the heat and gently whisk in the liason.

Soups containing rice or potato - make without including the starch ingredients, i.e., the rice and potato. Cool and freeze. Thaw and simmer for 15-20 minute with FINELY diced potatoes or rice. Check seasoning and consistency before serving and adjust with either a well flavoured or lightly flavoured stock.

Soups which should be smooth after freezing can be stabilised by either blending again with a stick blender or adding a little slaked cornflour - cornflour blended with COLD water and then mixed with some of the hot liquid, ( the order of cold liquid/water added to the cornflour and blended and then hot soup added is critical) which MUST be stirred whilst the soup "comes back together again".

If one has problems with a clear soup then the starch to use is arrowroot. Again, this must be mixed with a little cold water. Then add some of the hot liquid and pour back into the pot but make sure that you stir all the time!

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom