When do you put the sugar in when making plum jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_

Assistant Cook
Attempting to make plum jam today using lovely fruit fresh from my allotment. Got up early to stone the plums then, contrary to the recipe put the sugar on top of the plums to await cooking.

Do I really now have to extract the uncooked plums, wash the sugar off them and then add in extra sugar? :huh:

Umm, I'm not a plum jam expert... but I added the sugar about mid way through after heating the raspberries when I made jam.

I reckon so long as all the ingredients end up in there at some point. You'll probably be fine.

Good luck, hope it comes out ok :)

Thanks, CocolateFrosting. I've just washed the sugar off the plums and am now heating the fruit prior to putting the sugar in with them.

I love raspberry jam. Mine was a bit 'pippy' this year but the different texture just adds interest, I think

So much for the early start in order to save time today!

If you include some underripe plums with the others then you will have enough pectin to get a decent set. I did this will apricots 2 weeks ago. I just threw the apricots and sugar into the pot and timed 20 minutes after they started to boil. It actually works really well.

If you are planning to add pectin then yes you need to add the sugar at the end of the process.

I am not against using store pectin but sometimes you just don't need it. I have made plenty of plum jelly without added pectin. I don't use the plum jelly for anything but cooking other sauces mainly for duck so to me the firmness is not as important.

I mix the sugar with the plums and let it sit for a few hours in a covered glass bowl. The sugar melts and mixes well with the fruit. Then gently simmer without stirring till the jam reaches the desired thickness. Test a drop in cold water to check. I also add the juice of one lemon to add some tartness.

I mix the sugar with the plums and let it sit for a few hours in a covered glass bowl. The sugar melts and mixes well with the fruit. Then gently simmer without stirring till the jam reaches the desired thickness. Test a drop in cold water to check. I also add the juice of one lemon to add some tartness.
I do the same but if I can remember I leave them in the sugar over night, I do that with all the fruit I make jam with.
We use Victoria plums from a neighbor trees, they dont need pectin.

Hi James_

when I make a plum jam I pour the sugar over the plums and let it sit over night so it drows out the juices from the fruit. When I cook it the next morning and it starts boiling I put 1.3 teaspoon fresh butter to avoiid the foam that is formed and you have to take it out with a spoon. I also peel the skin of half or one quince (depends on how big is the pot you use and how many plus you got there) just take the skin when finish cooking. Quince is one of the fruits that have a natural pectin.

Oh, wow, I am sure not only they made the jam by now they probably ate it too. I put water and sugar first and then when sugar is melted then I add the plums. Maybe it will be good for next summer.

Back
Top Bottom