"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

My guess is not enough sugar.

Pectin needs sugar to gel, so you should never use less than the recipe calls for.

You also probably overheated it.

If you are using a tried and true recipe you should never have to add more pec tin, but never, ever the additional amount you added.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I learned the hard way trying to cut back on sugar when making jelly will cause the jelly not to jell properly. I too kept adding pectin, but my friend who has been canning for 40 years said it was because I cut the sugar in half. I never did that again and all my jelly is fine, sweet, but fine.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

To reduce, or even eliminate, the sugar in your jam, or use alternative sugars like honey and maple syrup, get some Pomona's Pectin. It's a different type of pectin that jells with calcium (included in the package) instead of sugar.

http://www.pomonapectin.com
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
To reduce, or even eliminate, the sugar in your jam, or use alternative sugars like honey and maple syrup, get some Pomona's Pectin. It's a different type of pectin that jells with calcium (included in the package) instead of sugar.

Jam Today! With Pomona's Universal Pectin® - Pomona PectinPomona Pectin | Low-Sugar Pectin | Sugar-Free | No Preservatives
Cool. I never heard of that before. I remember using pectin once. I hated the excessively sweet jam that I got. Also, at the time we were living in the country and were really, really broke. A friend convinced me to try pectin, because it sets up much quicker than just sugar and fruit. That's really nice when it's hot and there is no AC.

The package claimed I would save money. Well, it was no bargain for me. It used a lot more sugar than I used without pectin. I was making jam with berries that I picked, growing wild on the land around the log cabin we rented. The sugar had to be bought. This Pomona pectin would have been useful.
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Pectin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Jam Today! With Pomona's Universal Pectin® - Pomona PectinPomona Pectin | Low-Sugar Pectin | Sugar-Free | No Preservatives
Thank you Got Garlic, I have never heard of this pectin, I am VERY anxious to get some, I have a savory pallet and not so much for sweets. This pectin sounds exactly what I need for future Jams and Jellies. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote