Where to get jars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niteowl64

Assistant Cook
Hi All,
Total newbie to canning but with some help from my mother, i am hoping to can strawberries and other thing. She has not done it in years and years so her memory is a little rusty.

I am sure this question has been answered but i have not been able to find it on the forum. I went to a local store for mason jars. And while they are mason jars by name, the glass seems to me to be much thinner than I recall from my youth. I'm wondering if all "mason jars" are ok to use for canning or if there is a certain kind that I should not use (too thin, might crack). I'm unable to order supplies online so I have to buy at stores where I live in Rhode Island and I have no idea the best place to go. Hardware store? garden section of Wal-mart? Job Lot?

Any suggestions from those of you out there?

If it's a Mason brand jar, it should be fine. Ball brand jars also are good. See if you can get hold of the Ball Canning book. It's full of useful info.

it's good to know about the mason jars. I had gotten them at a shop here called "the Christmas Tree Shoppe". Kind of like a better version of Job Lot and i was nervous that the jars were more for some kind of decoration rather than canning use.

Might you know of a chain store that carries the Ball jars? I honestly don't even know the type of store to look for them in.

Its not quite canning season yet, but soon you won't be able to walk through a store without tripping on them. Try any Walmart, or most grocery stores.

I think you should go to a grocery store and ask at costumer service.
Also if you have a dollar store near you, you can visit their.

Last edited:
Great-thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I do have a Dollar store near me. Great tip. I wouldn't have thought to look in there. I'm really looking forward to doing the canning. Mom's going to impart her wisedom. But even her canning abilities were limited to things like relish and jams. I'd like to eventually do a wide variety of canning.

So glad I found this forum :)

niteowl, be careful with dollar store stuff. Sometimes it is not the best quality. Just check it carefully.

my Wal-Mart has canning supplies out now, but they are not in the garden section, they are in the grocery/food section of the store. ALL of my little local grocery stores carry canning jars, but I live in an area where canning is common. They are also available in farm supply stores here, and some feed stores.

Yes, our Wal-Mart has them out now, too. But, be sure to get them now, they are seasonal. Our grocery stores all carry them as well.

My Grandma's canning jars were very thick walled. They were very very old. I guess with new testing and manufacturing techniques they have been able to create a safe jar with a minimum of material.

You might also try thrift stores and garage sales. It seems like you can always find some that people are getting rid of! You might even save a few bucks in the process and help out a worthy cause at the same time!

Wal-mart it will be. I'm on the east coast and not much of a farming community. We are a seafood state. Certain areas do farm fruit and veggies but it's a very small industry in the state. I don't even think we have any farming stores. I'll stock up while i can, when I see them.

You all have been so helpful. I feel like a boob not even knowing where to get simple supplies, but we all have to start somewhere :)

If I knew you needed them sooner I could have shipped you all you might need! I just cleared out all my canning supplies because I just don't have the time and passion any more. Then we moved my Dad in here and I had to deal with all my Mom's supplies as well!

This is Canada, but our grocery stores carry them all year, though starting around now they really stock up and display them more prominently. I agree that I would be leary of dollar store ones.

If you're making strawberry jam, Sure-Jell has a wonderful recipe in their box. Their steps are also very clearly outlined and easy to follow - nice for newbie's or people needing a refresher.

There's a variety of canning jars out there by different names -- Ball, Kerr, Mason, Atlas-Mason and others -- and each is a little different from the other. I agree that manufacturing quality has improved over the years to allow for a higher quality jar. Most of the companies today are all under one name....Jarden Corporation, (http://www.jardenbrandedconsumables.com/jarden-home-brands.php).

The Atlas-Mason jars come from Classico products and aren't really supposed to be reused, but everyone does, but I would recommend only using for Boiling Water recipes and not pressure canning. The same goes for those mayonnaise jars. The glass is thin on those and there is a danger of exploding jars if there is a temperature shock when processing and/or lifting them out.

Canning jars should last for many many years. Just always check for cracks and chips, especially on the rim, and toss if you find anything or use for something other than canning. The only thing 'new' you will ever need are the flats and some people are getting a good supply of them now in case there is a shortage in the near future. That actually occurred once in 1974. Only a limited number of rings are needed since they are used only for processing and then are removed and no longer needed.

I use Mason they seem to work out with everything that you seem to can.. With ball they were good but they seem to leak after a long time

I have to dispute the comment about jars for the Dollar Store being inferior. The Dollar Stores here carry Golden Harvest brand, which is the same as Kerr. They are perfectly safe. I use them all the time and I have been canning for years.

I just put up 21 quarts of green beans (pressure canned) and didn't have a single jar or lid failure.

Here is a link to the USDA guideline for canning. If you follow this, you will not have any problems.

USDA Canning Guide (1994)

Good luck and Happy Canning!

Back
Top Bottom