Which spices for pickled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Hello everyone :)

I am just hoping to gather some new ideas.
What do u use to flavour the vinegar u use for your pickled eggs.

I use one or some of the following, for mine.
Mustard seeds
Peppercorns
Lime leaves

Mel

Hi, Mel. I've never pickled eggs, but I just did a Google search for "pickled egg recipe" and received tons of hits. One of the recipes I looked at used cider vinegar. You might want to check out some of the sites in that search and see if there's a recipe you might like.

Sometimes I'll tie mustard seeds, cloves, and peppercorns in cheesecloth and add to vinegar when bringing it to a boil. Or, just pickling spices. I like to use plain white vinegar, I find it has a stronger flavour. I also really like them in pickled beet juice.

Last edited:
I use a combo of:

onion
garlic
salt & pepper
hot sauce
mustard seed
curry pwd
jalepeno peppers
crushed red pepper
peppercorns

This was a recipe I found years ago on the net and I just tweaked it.

Wow!!!!

Those are ingredients I never thought of using.
This is cool, because I like to use the things I have in the kitchen, rather than going out and buying more stuff.
I never thought of using Jalepeno peppers or hot sauce. I suppose I could also use fresh or dried chillies.
And garlic is another one I never thought of.
And ginger, maybe?
Beet juice!!!! What a good idea. I usually just throw that out. I will know what to do with it, in future.

Mel

Last edited:
My ex-MIL use to just put her eggs in pickled beet juice all the time, always had a jar in the fridge. They were pretty and good !

Yeah, I love that beet juice idea. It is certainly one I will be trying.

I now have 2 flavours of pickled eggs maturing, in the kitchen. It is so cool, to get all these ideas.

I just boil some eggs and drop them into the leftover
Mt Olive Zesty Dill pickle juice!
;)

But I must say some of those sound really good!

Thanks for yet another cool idea, Grilling Fool.

I will let u know, Loprraine.

Olehippy,

You don't happen to have the measurements for this recipe? I am always looking for a way to preserve the huge amount of eggs we are getting from our hens at the moment. I tried a pickled egg recipe not too long ago and it was horrible but this looks really good. Just don't know the right amounts to make it work. Thanx!

I use a combo of:

onion
garlic
salt & pepper
hot sauce
mustard seed
curry pwd
jalepeno peppers
crushed red pepper
peppercorns

This was a recipe I found years ago on the net and I just tweaked it.

I usually just put dried chilies and mustard seed in. :)

Back
Top Bottom