"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question White spot forming in tomato paste

I'm cooking the tomatoes for tomato paste. I have several white stops forming on top. I have never since this before. Should I trash the batch?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Master Chef

I hope someone has the answer to this one. I don't make tomato paste, but have put half a can in the fridge and found white spots, and it wasn't long enough for it to be mold. Come on you food scientists, help us!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Claire, I'm pretty new to this, I made tomato sauce yesterday and didn't see any white spots.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Mold can form really fast on moist foods, just scoop off the top layer that has spot on it and use as intended. If the food is not old then it will be fine. Same thing with blocks of cheese, sometimes when they get a bit moist a bit of white mold will form on the outside. Just cut it off. Just don't try this with meats, if they get moldy chuck it out!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks, snip. I knew that about cheese. Usually if I need a tablespoon or so of the paste I simply put the rest in a baggie in the freezer. But I've occasionally put in the fridge, thinking I'd use it the next day and the spots formed before 24 hours were up. It isn't very expensive, so I just tossed it (when in doubt, throw it out).
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Thanks, snip. I knew that about cheese. Usually if I need a tablespoon or so of the paste I simply put the rest in a baggie in the freezer. But I've occasionally put in the fridge, thinking I'd use it the next day and the spots formed before 24 hours were up.
Have you tried the tomato paste in a tube? Good stuff if you just need a bit.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yeah, but I can't get it regularly and when I can it is quite expensive. Freezing works just fine, I just can't put it in the fridge!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yeah, but I can't get it regularly and when I can it is quite expensive. Freezing works just fine, I just can't put it in the fridge!
Put a layer of cling wrap directly onto the surface of the paste to keep air out then it will last longer.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Mold can form really fast on moist foods, just scoop off the top layer that has spot on it and use as intended. If the food is not old then it will be fine. Same thing with blocks of cheese, sometimes when they get a bit moist a bit of white mold will form on the outside. Just cut it off. Just don't try this with meats, if they get moldy chuck it out!
The white spot are forming while it is cooking, it between a sauce and paste, so still need to cook till it thicken up.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison554 View Post
The white spot are forming while it is cooking, it between a sauce and paste, so still need to cook till it thicken up.
If white spots are forming while it's cooking then it can't be mold so don't worry about it. You sometimes get little flecks of white when the tomatoes are not very ripe the lighter bits of tomato sometime lose colour while cooking and appear white. Not sure what your spots look like but when boiling or cooking certain foods it happens sometimes. Just skim the surface with a spoon to remove it.

Tags
tomato