"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Location: Planet Earth, North of Florida, South of Alaska. (Arkansas)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by missM View Post
Quite frankly Bullet, if you believed all you read, you'd be using your fingers to stir stuff and relieve air bubbles.
Myself, I'd be using a bamboo skewer to break the bubbles, but only because it's nice and pointy and can be thrown away. Use a knife, the flat end of a spoon... whatever you like that you can stick down the inner side of the jar. It's not going to poison you or wreck the mix.
All this business of "use an enamel dish", "a wooden spoon", "Don't use metal" et al, is pure nonsense. Use what is to hand. In your case....bubbles really don't care:P

Trust me. I've been cooking and preserving stuff for 50 years and my failures have been few and far between...and those certainly not because I've used utensils I've had on hand... but because I've disregarded the basic ingredient instructions.... :))) Like the time I nearly killed the whole family by doubling the spices in the Boston Baked Beans... Three of us ended up in ER that night with intense abdominal cramp!!!Oh Lordy!!! I can still relive the pain of that one.
Cooking is like any art... you just have to 'let go"
Cheers missM
missM, I feel so relieved after reading your post. And you explained with such detail about why the book would suggest no metal for getting rid of bubbles. ďThe bubbles just donít careĒ SO, Iíll just let my hair hang down, (all 3 of them) and dance around the kitchen naked wearing nothing but my wifeís lipstick, while singing you aint nothing but a hound dog, and it wonít matter what the book says. Gotcha!!!

Currently looking for the wifeís lipstickÖÖÖÖ

Take care,

Ken

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Flour Child

...well, Harrriet van Horne agrees with missM:
"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into
with abandon or not at all."

...but this time I have to go with Larry (post#8).
The recipe doesn't call for minced glass

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post

...well, Harrriet van Horne agrees with missM:
"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into

...but this time I have to go with Larry (post#8).
The recipe doesn't call for minced glass
Hi Molly Anne, Thank you for your reply. Whoís Harrriet van Horne??? Seriously, Iíve never heard of her. But, Iím actually not all that interested in cooking. Iím mainly just a hick currently living in Arkansas with a garden and interested in preserving the food without killing everyone in the house. My wife said that was her only concern about my new canning adventure.

So Harriet said, "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into

I prefer to live by the famous saying of Forrest Gump. ďMama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get.Ē This saying makes me ask questions about using metal to alleviate bubbles in canning jars. Whenever possible I really like to control what Iím gonna get. Or not get.

I agree with Larry also. And Kayelle was right on too. Plus itís always refreshing to have a lady like Kayelle laugh at a man when he is actually trying to be funny. I mean, rather than just laugh at him. You know?

I just noticed the little reputation thingy on the side of everyoneís page. Iím probably not doing so good, LOL.

Take care friend.

Ken
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-slinger
Who's Harriet van Horne???
Harriet Van Horne was a pioneer radio and television critic. She was tough-minded, crusaded for educational programming, and was against ''women's chatter programs, the vulgar outpourings of the soap opera and the bad taste of commercials''. I don't know what chatter programs are but I don't think it was internet related because she was before our time...or mine anyway as I have more than "3 hairs on my head"
Ms. Van Horne also wrote a syndicated column for The New York Post. She died of breast cancer @ 77 in 1998

Here's her photo from LIFE magazine:
Google Image Result for http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50448340.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14 C49322B25CC4232BBAB7CEB80F4804A5D1F3655A33C54B9CB0 1E70F2B3269972

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-slinger
I just noticed the little reputation thingy on the side of everyone’s page. I’m probably not doing so good, LOL.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Harriet Van Horne was a pioneer radio and television critic. She was tough-minded, crusaded for educational programming, and was against ''women's chatter programs, the vulgar outpourings of the soap opera and the bad taste of commercials''. I don't know what chatter programs are but I don't think it was internet related because she was before our time...or mine anyway as I have more than "3 hairs on my head"
Ms. Van Horne also wrote a syndicated column for The New York Post. She died of breast cancer @ 77 in 1998

Here's her photo from LIFE magazine:
Google Image Result for http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50448340.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14 C49322B25CC4232BBAB7CEB80F4804A5D1F3655A33C54B9CB0 1E70F2B3269972

Molly Anne, thank you. Very informative.

Just because I have less hair than you does not mean Iím older. Although, I was in the theater when Abe got shot.

Actually, less hair means more intelligence. Itís a well documented fact that hair and brains simply donít go together. I think I might have read that in a canning book somewhere.

I will be 60 on my next birthday, but I donít feel a day older than 80, or look a day older than 90. Heck, I probably am older than you. It seems I deal with that a lot these days.

Take care SweetPea,

Ken
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Cook

I thought there was another reason that men went bald. Something about bed heads:P
Now lets get serious about the metal in the pickles.
The reason that the instructions says no metal is not for fear that the metal will break the glass, (anything will break glass) but because vinegar is acetic acid and will interact with the metal. But as you wouldn't be leaving the implement in the jar it should not pose a problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by missM View Post
I thought there was another reason that men went bald. Something about bed heads:P
Now lets get serious about the metal in the pickles.
The reason that the instructions says no metal is not for fear that the metal will break the glass, (anything will break glass) but because vinegar is acetic acid and will interact with the metal. But as you wouldn't be leaving the implement in the jar it should not pose a problem.
Now MissM, what the heck is a bed head? Apparently Forrest Gump never mentioned that one.

Yes, I did read that metal instruments can influence the flavor of anything with vinegar in it. (Like Pickles)

But I was reading instructions about canning vegetables. Peas, to be exact. And I agree, anything can break glass, if your rough with it.

Thanks for the reply Sis,

Ken
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

4 books

After reading 4 canning books trying to find out for sure why it is wrong to use a metal instrument to remove air bubbles, I’ve decided no one really knows. Or, it is a secret among the canning expert Guru’s who write canning books. Or, perhaps the Guru’s are making a power play statement like our parents did when we were young. You know what I mean, just do it because I said so and don’t ask questions.

Three of the canning books I have said not to use metal instruments to remove air bubbles from canning jars. All 3 books are new, and one of them is supposed to be the Bible book of canning. None of the 3 books explained why using a metal instrument was wrong. One of the books actually said you could also tap the sides of the jar with a knife handle to remove bubbles. Apparently injuring the jar wasn’t their concern. Maybe they meant to say a rubber knife handle, but they didn’t say that.

The fourth book is a really old book I got off Ebay. The old gal who wrote this book suggest you do just about everything the other 3 new books tell you not to do. But, she didn’t say not to use a metal instrument to remove air bubbles from jars. In fact she didn’t even mention there was any need to be concerned about air bubbles at all. Just fill the jars and go for it. She even claimed there was no need to fill a water bath canner above the lids. She said she believe that is what caused so many people to have problems getting the lids to seal. Now you know that is taboo today.

Anyway it’s been a fun thread. Hope my dry since of humor didn’t injure anyone to bad.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon.

Take care,

Ken
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #19
Cook

Wow. Those are some really wonderful read guys! :D Thanks!