Why No Metal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullet-slinger

Assistant Cook
Planet Earth, North of Florida, South of Alaska.
:huh: Why No Metal

In my canning book that I received with my All American canner it says not to use a metal instrument to clear the jar of air bubbles. Of course the genius who wrote the book doesn’t explain why not metal, only don’t use it.

Will someone please fill me in on what problems using a butter knife or some other metal instrument will cause? I mean will it poison you, cause an explosion, upset the latest radical terrorist group, or what?

Thanks a bunch,

Ken

:LOL: Hi Ken, and welcome to DC. Just the kind of humor I like.

I'm just guessin' here, but maybe they think you'll break the glass with metal?
Try the handle end of a wooden spoon.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me, will have the real answer.

I think it also might have to do with a possible reaction with the stuff in the jar. When you process rhubarb you don't use any metal either. Enameled pots and rubber spatulas only.

I would go ahead and use your metal instruments to clear the bubbles from your jars. There's absolutely no logical reason for following the recommendations of the experts in the profession.

Personally, I use a chopstick since it is less bulky and has less tendency to cut into the food items or give it an odd taste, unless of course I forget to wash the chopstick after using it. :D

:LOL: Hi Ken, and welcome to DC. Just the kind of humor I like.

I'm just guessin' here, but maybe they think you'll break the glass with metal?
Try the handle end of a wooden spoon.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me, will have the real answer.

Thanks Kayelle, I feel some what better knowing you don't think it's the radical terrorist group scenario. What humor? :)

Thanks you,

Ken

I would go ahead and use your metal instruments to clear the bubbles from your jars. There's absolutely no logical reason for following the recommendations of the experts in the profession.

Personally, I use a chopstick since it is less bulky and has less tendency to cut into the food items or give it an odd taste, unless of course I forget to wash the chopstick after using it. :D

Mcnerd, Mcnerd, Mcnerd…. :ohmy: Dear friend, no one was even hinting at the possibility of going against all supposed logic by not following the recommendations of the experts in the profession. Or at least the authors of a particular book supposed to be written by experts.

I really wish someone had the real answer to this question. If there is no explanation in the book and someone uses metal and later after the canning is done realize they weren’t supposed to they have no understanding of what to do with the canned food. Should they throw all the food out if there is only a possibility of causing the food to be off flavored? I wouldn’t think so. But, what if it did cause a chemical reaction that could harm you physically? I would certainly think all the canned food should all be thrown out then. But with no explanation in the book, I guess a person could go against all logic and just guess. Or possibly get on a canning forum and ask people with experience for there input, which is what I’m doing.

Mcnerd, you said you use chopsticks. I’ve personally seen chopsticks made out of plastic, stainless steel, wood, and ivory. You didn’t mention which you’re using, so that would put me back to square one.

I really do appreciate your reply. I’m getting ready to look in 3 more books. If you happen to find the reason before I do please post your findings.

Ken

Apparently, metal utensils can scratch the glass, causing hair line fractures, or weak points in the glass, making it more likely to break during the canning process.

I took a quote from the following website:

Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs.

"What causes jars to break during processing?
Home canning jars are glass containers and therefore should be handled carefully. It is important to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when preparing and using home canning jars. It is also important to visually examine jars before use.

If jar breakage does occur, check the following points to determine if one of them is the cause:
Using commercial or old-style home canning jars;
Using a metal utensil to remove air bubbles;
Using steel wool or a brush with a wire stem to clean jars;
Using a metal utensil to remove food for serving;
Handling and storing jars in such a way to cause scratching on the outside of the jar;
Placing hot food into a room temperature jar;
Placing a room temperature jar into boiling water;
Lifting a jar out of the canner and placing it directly on a cool counter or a wet surface;
Using a processing method that is not approved for home canning;
Abusive handling of a glass container.

For detailed information about the proper use of home canning jars, see Canning Basics and Step-by-Step."

Not sure if there are any other reasons,

Hope this helps.

larry

Apparently, metal utensils can scratch the glass, causing hair line fractures, or weak points in the glass, making it more likely to break during the canning process.

I took a quote from the following website:

Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs.

"What causes jars to break during processing?
Home canning jars are glass containers and therefore should be handled carefully. It is important to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when preparing and using home canning jars. It is also important to visually examine jars before use.

If jar breakage does occur, check the following points to determine if one of them is the cause:
Using commercial or old-style home canning jars;
Using a metal utensil to remove air bubbles;
Using steel wool or a brush with a wire stem to clean jars;
Using a metal utensil to remove food for serving;
Handling and storing jars in such a way to cause scratching on the outside of the jar;
Placing hot food into a room temperature jar;
Placing a room temperature jar into boiling water;
Lifting a jar out of the canner and placing it directly on a cool counter or a wet surface;
Using a processing method that is not approved for home canning;
Abusive handling of a glass container.

For detailed information about the proper use of home canning jars, see Canning Basics and Step-by-Step."

Not sure if there are any other reasons,

Hope this helps.

larry

Larry, thank you sir. Very. Good info.

Ken

:huh: Why No Metal

In my canning book that I received with my All American canner it says not to use a metal instrument to clear the jar of air bubbles. Of course the genius who wrote the book doesn’t explain why not metal, only don’t use it.

Will someone please fill me in on what problems using a butter knife or some other metal instrument will cause? I mean will it poison you, cause an explosion, upset the latest radical terrorist group, or what?

Thanks a bunch,

Ken
Quite frankly Bullet, if you believed all you read, you'd be using your fingers to stir stuff and relieve air bubbles.
Myself, I'd be using a bamboo skewer to break the bubbles, but only because it's nice and pointy and can be thrown away. Use a knife, the flat end of a spoon... whatever you like that you can stick down the inner side of the jar. It's not going to poison you or wreck the mix.
All this business of "use an enamel dish", "a wooden spoon", "Don't use metal" et al, is pure nonsense. Use what is to hand. In your case....bubbles really don't care:P

Trust me. I've been cooking and preserving stuff for 50 years and my failures have been few and far between...and those certainly not because I've used utensils I've had on hand... but because I've disregarded the basic ingredient instructions.... :))) Like the time I nearly killed the whole family by doubling the spices in the Boston Baked Beans... Three of us ended up in ER that night with intense abdominal cramp!!!Oh Lordy!!! I can still relive the pain of that one.
Cooking is like any art... you just have to 'let go"
Cheers missM

Quite frankly Bullet, if you believed all you read, you'd be using your fingers to stir stuff and relieve air bubbles.
Myself, I'd be using a bamboo skewer to break the bubbles, but only because it's nice and pointy and can be thrown away. Use a knife, the flat end of a spoon... whatever you like that you can stick down the inner side of the jar. It's not going to poison you or wreck the mix.
All this business of "use an enamel dish", "a wooden spoon", "Don't use metal" et al, is pure nonsense. Use what is to hand. In your case....bubbles really don't care:P

Trust me. I've been cooking and preserving stuff for 50 years and my failures have been few and far between...and those certainly not because I've used utensils I've had on hand... but because I've disregarded the basic ingredient instructions.... :))) Like the time I nearly killed the whole family by doubling the spices in the Boston Baked Beans... Three of us ended up in ER that night with intense abdominal cramp!!!Oh Lordy!!! I can still relive the pain of that one.
Cooking is like any art... you just have to 'let go"
Cheers missM

missM, I feel so relieved after reading your post. And you explained with such detail about why the book would suggest no metal for getting rid of bubbles. “The bubbles just don’t care” SO, I’ll just let my hair hang down, (all 3 of them) and dance around the kitchen naked wearing nothing but my wife’s lipstick, while singing you aint nothing but a hound dog, and it won’t matter what the book says. Gotcha!!! :rolleyes:

Currently looking for the wife’s lipstick…………

Take care,

Ken

:LOL:.

...well, Harrriet van Horne agrees with missM:
"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into
with abandon or not at all."

...but this time I have to go with Larry (post#8).
The recipe doesn't call for minced glass :sick:

:LOL:.

...well, Harrriet van Horne agrees with missM:
"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into

...but this time I have to go with Larry (post#8).
The recipe doesn't call for minced glass :sick:

Hi Molly Anne, Thank you for your reply. Who’s Harrriet van Horne??? Seriously, I’ve never heard of her. But, I’m actually not all that interested in cooking. I’m mainly just a hick currently living in Arkansas with a garden and interested in preserving the food without killing everyone in the house. My wife said that was her only concern about my new canning adventure.

So Harriet said, "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into

I prefer to live by the famous saying of Forrest Gump. “Mama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get.” This saying makes me ask questions about using metal to alleviate bubbles in canning jars. Whenever possible I really like to control what I’m gonna get. Or not get.

I agree with Larry also. And Kayelle was right on too. Plus it’s always refreshing to have a lady like Kayelle laugh at a man when he is actually trying to be funny. I mean, rather than just laugh at him. You know? ;)

I just noticed the little reputation thingy on the side of everyone’s page. I’m probably not doing so good, LOL.

Take care friend.

Ken

bullet-slinger said:
Who's Harriet van Horne???
Harriet Van Horne was a pioneer radio and television critic. She was tough-minded, crusaded for educational programming, and was against ''women's chatter programs, the vulgar outpourings of the soap opera and the bad taste of commercials''. I don't know what chatter programs are but I don't think it was internet related because she was before our time...or mine anyway as I have more than "3 hairs on my head" :punk:
Ms. Van Horne also wrote a syndicated column for The New York Post. She died of breast cancer @ 77 in 1998

Here's her photo from LIFE magazine:
Google Image Result for http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50448340.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14C49322B25CC4232BBAB7CEB80F4804A5D1F3655A33C54B9CB01E70F2B3269972

bullet-slinger said:
I just noticed the little reputation thingy on the side of everyone’s page. I’m probably not doing so good, LOL.
:LOL:

Harriet Van Horne was a pioneer radio and television critic. She was tough-minded, crusaded for educational programming, and was against ''women's chatter programs, the vulgar outpourings of the soap opera and the bad taste of commercials''. I don't know what chatter programs are but I don't think it was internet related because she was before our time...or mine anyway as I have more than "3 hairs on my head" :punk:
Ms. Van Horne also wrote a syndicated column for The New York Post. She died of breast cancer @ 77 in 1998

Here's her photo from LIFE magazine:
Google Image Result for http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50448340.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14C49322B25CC4232BBAB7CEB80F4804A5D1F3655A33C54B9CB01E70F2B3269972

:LOL:

Molly Anne, thank you. Very informative.

Just because I have less hair than you does not mean I’m older. Although, I was in the theater when Abe got shot.

Actually, less hair means more intelligence. It’s a well documented fact that hair and brains simply don’t go together. I think I might have read that in a canning book somewhere.

I will be 60 on my next birthday, but I don’t feel a day older than 80, or look a day older than 90. Heck, I probably am older than you. It seems I deal with that a lot these days.

Take care SweetPea,:angel:

Ken

I thought there was another reason that men went bald. Something about bed heads:P
Now lets get serious about the metal in the pickles.
The reason that the instructions says no metal is not for fear that the metal will break the glass, (anything will break glass) but because vinegar is acetic acid and will interact with the metal. But as you wouldn't be leaving the implement in the jar it should not pose a problem.

I thought there was another reason that men went bald. Something about bed heads:P
Now lets get serious about the metal in the pickles.
The reason that the instructions says no metal is not for fear that the metal will break the glass, (anything will break glass) but because vinegar is acetic acid and will interact with the metal. But as you wouldn't be leaving the implement in the jar it should not pose a problem.

Now MissM, what the heck is a bed head?:ermm: Apparently Forrest Gump never mentioned that one.

Yes, I did read that metal instruments can influence the flavor of anything with vinegar in it. (Like Pickles)

But I was reading instructions about canning vegetables. Peas, to be exact. And I agree, anything can break glass, if your rough with it.

Thanks for the reply Sis,

Ken

4 books

After reading 4 canning books trying to find out for sure why it is wrong to use a metal instrument to remove air bubbles, I’ve decided no one really knows. Or, it is a secret among the canning expert Guru’s who write canning books. Or, perhaps the Guru’s are making a power play statement like our parents did when we were young. You know what I mean, just do it because I said so and don’t ask questions.

Three of the canning books I have said not to use metal instruments to remove air bubbles from canning jars. All 3 books are new, and one of them is supposed to be the Bible book of canning. None of the 3 books explained why using a metal instrument was wrong. One of the books actually said you could also tap the sides of the jar with a knife handle to remove bubbles. Apparently injuring the jar wasn’t their concern. Maybe they meant to say a rubber knife handle, but they didn’t say that.

The fourth book is a really old book I got off Ebay. The old gal who wrote this book suggest you do just about everything the other 3 new books tell you not to do. But, she didn’t say not to use a metal instrument to remove air bubbles from jars. In fact she didn’t even mention there was any need to be concerned about air bubbles at all. Just fill the jars and go for it. She even claimed there was no need to fill a water bath canner above the lids. She said she believe that is what caused so many people to have problems getting the lids to seal. Now you know that is taboo today.

Anyway it’s been a fun thread. Hope my dry since of humor didn’t injure anyone to bad.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon.

Take care,

Ken

Back
Top Bottom