"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Yummmmmmm!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Sure-Jel insert and they still list the upside down method as an option along with freezing and water processing. I found that interesting. BTW, what is the actual name for that method?
I find that very strange indeed. I guess I'll have to buy another package just to read the insert again.

I don't think there is an actual name. It just refers to the act of "inverting the jars". Here's a reference worth reading:

Science of Cooking: Ask the Inquisitive Cooks!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

Great article mcnerd! I learned to can from my mom and grandma so I've never read anything on how to can (so reading the Sure-Jell insert was very interesting!). I only do jam and tomatoes, everything else gets frozen. It's interesting to know the science though - thanks for sharing!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Head Chef

It would be very advantageous to get the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (less than $10) which is the Bible for food preserving, not just canning. Great for everyone, with instructions and recipes.

Regarding tomatoes, are you aware that modern recipes require the addition of citric acid/lemon juice because many tomato hybrids these years are not as acidic?

Not only has technology and our knowledge of bacteria, molds, etc., changed, but the very foods we preserve have changed. One needs to keep up to date to be safe.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
...Regarding tomatoes, are you aware that modern recipes require the addition of citric acid/lemon juice because many tomato hybrids these years are not as acidic?...
I think about 3 years ago my mom said to start adding a squirt of lemon juice with the pinch of salt into each jar. Not sure how she found out ... I'm sure she read it somewhere.

I think I saw the Ball canning book somewhere when I was looking for information as to whether or not I needed to skin my tomatoes for canning (or if it was just something I was doing because I had learned it - make sense?). I also posed the question here so never bought the book. Maybe I will ... we are driving west this August so I'm always looking for good reading material.