"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Head Chef

Wine Jelly

Has anyone tried making jelly from wine? I found a recipe for this on Allrecipe that I'm going to try with a cab and a chardonnay. Anyone have any experience - good or bad? Thoughts?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Head Chef

You can make jellies out of just about any liquids, even cokes, and there are some good recipes using wines. Just make sure you follow the recipe and the gelling process EXACTLY or you may end up with some good wine syrup.

And make sure the recipe uses a canning process and not just heat and seal. There are lots of old unsafe recipes floating around.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
You can make jellies out of just about any liquids, even cokes, and there are some good recipes using wines. Just make sure you follow the recipe and the gelling process EXACTLY or you may end up with some good wine syrup.

And make sure the recipe uses a canning process and not just heat and seal. There are lots of old unsafe recipes floating around.
YUMMY, I want some pancakes!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

sounds like a great idea, i'd like to try that, wine for me, sodas for the kids :)
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
... not just heat and seal...
??? Not sure what you mean by "just heat and seal". Do mean using an inversion approach?

The one I found uses a water bath canning process like I use for my jams. I was assuming that there was enough acidity in the wine to process this way. Wrong?

I did read in the comments following the recipe, though, that several people used wine glasses rather than jars and then sealed them with paraffin. They were given as gifts (hopefully with a note saying refrigerate me!). I thought that was a neat idea.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

Heat and seal, along with the practice of turning jars upside down, and using paraffin wax, are all outdated methods and considered unsafe, even though many still exist on the internet and tend to confuse newbies to canning.

The correct method is of course the Boiling Water Bath Canner. An exception is a no-cook freezer jam for some fruits but it does not gel the normal way.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

I had time to kill while my strawberry jam was processing so I actually read the Sure-Jel insert and they still list the upside down method as an option along with freezing and water processing. I found that interesting. BTW, what is the actual name for that method?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
Head Chef

Have you ever tried wine jelly? I tried it recently at a farmer's market. It reminded me of a wine flavored jello. I wasn't convinced that I liked it but a friend of mine thought of all sorts of things he could use it for.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

No, I haven't tried it but can envision lots of different uses. I really like pepper or mint jelly with crackers and cream cheese. I'm thinking (hoping!) the wine jelly will be similar. What didn't you like about it?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

I think what I didn't care for was the gelatinous texture. It tasted exactly like wine. I love to drink wine but wasn't sure how I felt about "eating" it. I guess I could only describe my feeling like this. I love bbq sauce but wouldn't want a glass of wine flavored that way. Does that make sense? Anyway as I stated, my friend thought it was great and could be used for many things although I can't remember what he said it would be for. I do love pepper jelly or mint on crackers with cream cheese. Maybe the wine jelly would be better that way then just eating it off a spoon.