Can you eat strawberry tops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I picked the green leafs off the strawberries, and cut the tops off to sugar/juice them, but instead of throwing the tops away, I put them in a different container, to juice those also.

I figure I would eat around them, but as I get to doing that, I accidentally ate one or two full tops (without leaf thingys that is).

If we eat those tops, can those hurt us or are they ok to eat?

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably could toss the greens into a salad for a little interest. I use radish leaves when they're nice. Usually they look like they came out on the losing end of a fight, though.

When we went to Chef and the Farmer (a restaurant in NC whose chef has a show on PBS), they served pickled green strawberries in a salad. It was really good :yum:

I only remove the green part and leave the strawberry whole, just remove with tweezers , I actually have a strawberry green top remover ( swedish Jordgubbssnoppare), that leaves the berry intact.
Yes you can eat the leaves if the come from a pesticide free source but strawberry leafs are also know for allergies, yes some people are allergic to leafs and not berries.

It's known as a strawberry huller. I have (and use) my Mom's. It's older than I am - and is in better shape. :LOL: It's similar to this:

fox-run-strawberry-huller-set-of-4-by-fox-run

CG Thank you!! I never knew the English word for it , but now I know Strawberry huller. I am guessing the tops of strawberries is the actual berry and not leafs and why would cut them off?

CG Thank you!! I never knew the English word for it , but now I know Strawberry huller. I am guessing the tops of strawberries is the actual berry and not leafs and why would cut them off?
The tool allows you to dig out the leaves and the hull, leaving behind as much of the berry as possible.

Well Well, Google was looking over my shoulder and suggested that I might be interested in a particular article. Oddly enough, I was! :LOL: I bet the info in it will be interesting to some of you, too.

5 Ways to Use Your Strawberry Tops

I'm on an infused water kick right now. I see a use for the tops of the strawberries I'll be buying soon, since they're on sale. Perfect timing - temps are heading for the 80s later this week. :glare:

I like the infused vinegar suggestion, too. Can't wait to see Himself's face when he tastes that salad dressing!

Back
Top Bottom